Philippa Day secret report highlights DWP errors! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Philippa Day secret report highlights DWP errors!

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/philippa-day-secret-dwp-report-reveals-errors-that-led-to-disabled-mums-death/

I know from painful experience that the DWP is run and organised by suited jobsworths who clearly don't know what they're doing most of the time...

Thoughts?

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    RIP  my lovely friend  I dont need to read it  the system let her down the marker in my own experience and opinion helps  thank you for sharing  the link @MrAllen1976
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I think it is more down to the whole benefits system and how it is set up with its criteria and rules that is the problem 

The gov total lack of knowledge or empathy for disabled and people who fall on hard times through no fault of their own 

This in my opinion is the issue rather than DWP staff who have to comply to the rules and are given little training to deal with complex issues 
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    Whilst I agree on the whole @janer1967 in this case there were multiple failures by the DWP staff themselves that contributed to the death of this poor woman. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @BrettW yes I agree with your point 

I was meaning in general rather than this specific case 

I should have stated that in my comment 
  • BrettW
    edited January 2021
    I think people tend to 'personalise' the DWP @janer1967 and tend to see the staff as if what happens is their personal belligerance and not just them being forced to work within the boundaries of the departments rules.

I think you are 100% correct when you say that 99% of the time these people are forced to operate within these rules and criteria
  • Lisatho11987777
    @BrettW in this case a marker should of been applied in my own opinion but as said above staff don't always have the appropriate  training and sadly in this particular case a life was lost 
  • BrettW
    yes @lisathomas50 it says in that linked report that the staff member failed to apply a marker. Sadly these things sometimes happen but when they result in the loss of life it unfortunately makes these mistakes doubly tragic.

I think the DWP really need to take a long hard look at the repayments for social loans as taking pretty much a quarter of the womans money every week and leaving her with £60 a week to live on is ridiculous. Benefits only pays what is considered to be the bare minimum to survive as it is so taking a quarter of that is unbelievable.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @BrettW I think things have changed slightly but not enough  if a marker is put on your claim this wouldn't of happend but I know from my own personal experience  that markers do help and keep you safe I think there are alot more markers in place now 

Someone  only has to phone up and say for example I cant read properly and I cant write  or something to that affect to my understanding  not fact that a marker would be put in place 

Brightness