Phone, Paper or Face to Face. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Phone, Paper or Face to Face.

TeddyB22
TeddyB22 Community member Posts: 178 Courageous
edited April 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I received a big bundle of all my previous letters and reports going back to 2017. I don't know why they did this. I never got these at my last appeal. 
I also received confirmation that they are ready to hear my appeal and have asked me if I want to go ahead or withdraw. I've asked them to look again at my DL award which is standard. I believe they should restore 2 points for Nutrition which they originally gave me but took off at my last appeal.
I'm not getting any help from Citizens Advice and I have no representation this time. I also haven't had any appointments with Doctors and because of this I've not sent in any more evidence apart from a letter my brother wrote explaining my condition and how it effects me.
Now I can't decide whether to go for a paper based appeal or a phone appeal. They say if I request face to face it could be a very long time before it's heard but a phone one would be quicker. 
When I win my original appeal it was a face to face but that was with representation. I had previously been sent home from a face to face appeal as I had no representation. They recommend that I get some. So given that I will be going on my own and the stress this will no doubt cause me should I just have a phone assessment (conference call I think)?
Thanks for reading this and any advice. Hope everyone is staying safe. 
TeddyB22

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

From experience of my own appeal my bundle contained every bit of paperwork that either I had sent or DWP had sent 

Personally I would go for phone tribunal rather than paper as with paper they only read your bundle and you dont have the opportunity to put your side across like you would on a call 

But I dont have any issues speaking up for myself in any situation 

Dont worry about the extra evidence unless you do request paper based 

You dont need representation but i understand you wanting this 

If it's a phone could a friend or relative be with you for support ? 

Good luck and keep us up to date 
  • TeddyB22
    Thanks for advice janer1967. 
    I'm so disappointed with CA. This time around their advice was actually not helpful at all. I have a brother who is a social worker but tbh he doesn't agree with PIP and is a very unsympathetic person. He lives near my mother who is disabled and I'm not exaggerating when I say he'd watch her get a taxi to the doctor before he'd give her a lift. 
    No. It'll just be me. I thought that I did OK on the phone call but the lady contradicted my answers and even took mobility off me and the all important points for Nutrition (that denied me Enhanced Rate), a cynical move that makes me very wary. I think they are much more aware of you have representation. 
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    Hi @TeddyB22 I think that you have to decide how you as a person handle these kind of situations before deciding on which route you want to take.

I'm sure someone from the Scope team will be in this thread at some point and be able to advise you on help other than CAB in regards to getting representation if you decide to go the telephone route.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    This is only my opinion but if you  don't feel confident enough to do it over the phone would pspper based be better you still get to have your say and you can get someone to help this is only my opinion 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Although I got mine paper based, I wouldn't recommend it unless you know you won't be able to cope with the phone call.  It's got to be better to be able to put your point across and correct anything they misunderstand.  There's no chance of this with paper of course.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious you can still get your point across  with papper based i think in my opinion and experience of helping others  but it is down to personal choice 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TeddyB22

To find representation, you could visit the Advice Local website.  If you enter your postcode, you will be able to find a welfare rights or law centre near you who can provide support during the next steps.  

Please keep us updated with how you get on and I hope the process isn't too stressful. 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TeddyB22 - Just to add, that statistically only a low number of paper based tribunals are successful (5-8%), so, as most others have recommended, I'd go with a phone tribunal, but of course you must go with what you feel best. I hope you're staying safe too, & good luck with your tribunal. :)
  • TeddyB22
    Thanks for the great advice. One thing I remember from starting this PIP journey way back in 2017 is that Face To Face was then the general consensus. Now with Covid it's just makes more sense to go for a Phone tribunal. I can talk for myself that's not a problem.
    Though I have heard it many times on this forum that after many phone ssessments the assessors have made a note that the claimant 'seemed calm, collected and not anxious' and this has been used as a reason to not award points.
    I'll decide today or tomorrow. I've a week to send back the form.
    Ps. In the big bundle of forms they sent me they did not have the last pieces of evidence I sent in, I wonder should I send them again?
    TB22
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    A tribunal isnt an assessment and is independent panel not part of DWP 

They will only be concerned about your level of anxiety if that is what you are claiming you have problems with 

Good luck 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.