how to talk about your disability???? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

how to talk about your disability????

lisacura
lisacura Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2021 in Work and employment
how are some ways to talk about your disability at your job????

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

I would speak to your manager or hr dept initially 

Is anyone aware of your disabilities it is always advisable to make them aware so they can make any reasonable adjustments 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    lisacura said:
    how are some ways to talk about your disability at your job????
    Basically, unless it's a disability confident employer or a disability specific employer, DON'T mention it IMO, it WILL be used against you in the recruitment process.

I've spent most of the last nearly 26 years applying to everywhere possible and as soon as I declare my disability my application gets insta-binned.

If you do declare, and you're lucky enough to get an interview, big up the positives of your disability, like I have Asperger's and I'm uniquely good at remembering dates and other details of stuff, and my all ensuming passion is IT so I'm really good on computers, but because I don't have an IT Degree, most places won't even look at me plus I'm mid 40s nearly, 45 in April.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @MrAllen1976 read the op it wasn't about looking for a job but in a job.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    I personally when I was working discussed my disability with the managers /owners and some staff . I had to explain because I needed adjustments to be made for me and also I hope explaining would make staff understanding, in my last job I was treated really badly for having a disability but I did start legal proceedings against the company and settled out of court .

it wasn’t nice for what I went threw but I would always recommend telling your manager about your disability ask to speak to them in private . 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lisacura

Welcome to the community. 

If you are already in the job then I suppose it depends on if your disability is impacting your ability to do the job. If you need to discuss it with your employer, I'd advise doing it honestly and with a solution driven approach, for example try not to say "I can't do this" or "I won't do this", instead focus on how you will thrive at doing certain tasks if you have the right reasonable adjustments in place along with collaborative support from your employer and colleagues.

Is there a particular reason you are asking this?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness