Trouble at work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Trouble at work

Options
qwert123
qwert123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2021 in Work and employment
Hi everyone,

im having some problems at work I hope someone can offer some help or guidance on what to do!

I started working for this company almost exactly 1 year ago after a few months there was a comment made about why I wasn’t doing a certain part of my job which confused me as it wasn’t part of my job I pulled up my job description and it didn’t have what they were wanting me to do in it I showed them this, they produced a completely different job description to the one I had been given, I was according to them responsible for managing 3 people as well as my other duties. These 3 people hadn’t been told I was there manager either. Work just shrugged there shoulders and blamed the agency and the agency work. This upset me and I ended up being treated by the mental health crisis team which lead to a diagnosis of bipolar I was off work for several months and returned towards the start of winter part time. 

Since returning to work things have been difficult with respect to workload my official workload is fine however I keep getting given extra tasks to complete which means I don’t have the time to complete my normal workload I offered to work extra and was turned down, regular catch-ups haven’t happened as promised and I feel like they are setting unattainable tasks for me recently for example I was told that a task should have been done on Friday or Wednesday I don’t work Fridays and on Wednesday the work hadn’t yet been handed to me. I sit in work wondering what’s coming at me next.

To me it feels like they are trying to set me up to fail I guess I feel they are wanting me to leave. 

Can anyone offer any words of wisdom?
thank you 
Tagged:

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @qwert123 hi  is your company aware of your diagnosis  have you spoke to your manager  do you have a union rep that can help you

You can also get help and advice from accas or citizen advice 

The company should be able to put adjustments in place to lessen the work load 

You need to get proffedional help realy  

Other people will reply aswel 

Hope you get something  sorted out 
  • qwert123
    qwert123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    @qwert123 hi  is your company aware of your diagnosis  have you spoke to your manager  do you have a union rep that can help you

You can also get help and advice from accas or citizen advice 

The company should be able to put adjustments in place to lessen the work load 

You need to get proffedional help realy  

Other people will reply aswel 

Hope you get something  sorted out 
    Hello thanks for replying, yes the company knows and so does my manager he knows I’m struggling as well but keeps giving the extra workload. 

No union it’s just a small company.
    thanks
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

Does your job description say also to undertake any other duties and tasks as and when required ? Most do 

All companies are under pressure at the moment with covid and are struggling to keep up with staff shortages and different ways of working 

I would suggest you put in writing your concerns and a request for reasonable adjustments under the equality act and request a meeting to discuss what adjustments would help you achieve your workload 

See what comes of it and take it from there as a starting point 

There is lots info on here about reasonable adjustments as well as ACAS website 

Come back if you have any further questions 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hello @qwert123

Welcome to the community, sorry to hear you're struggling with this at the moment. 

The suggestions above are fantastic ones. I will reiterate that reasonable adjustments might be a way forward for you, have you previously discussed these with work?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    If work are deliberately making your life difficult due to your disability, you would be within your rights to take them to the cleaners under the 2010 Equality Act for discrimination IMO.

Brightness