PAUSE FOR THOUGHT — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PAUSE FOR THOUGHT

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 43 Courageous
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Shezz I agree people slip through the net and it shouldn't happen people shouldn't have to live like that 

I hope your getting all the help you need 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2021
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Shezz I am getting there i am glad you are ok and getting support 

You are a lovely careing person who deserves to be happy ? 

Take care lovely lady 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shezz - that was hard to read, & I bet a lot harder to write. I imagine this is part of the story you wanted to tell, & thank you for sharing.
    I'm so sorry about Phil, what a dreadful unnecessary loss of life. Also for what you've suffered...
    I'm very pleased the Scope helpline team have been so good. I hope Tom is still there too, as a Scope member I've gotten to know, who has become very important to me, literally had tablets in her hand ready to try & overdose, when he rang. He potentially saved her life.
    We certainly as a community need to pull together, now more than ever before as we're going through this pandemic.
    I hope the Scope team, & helpline team, are trying to put things in place for you now. Remember the community is here for you too, & we have some lovely members. I sometimes think we're all just propping each other up due to our own disabilities, but it's done in such a kind way, & we do care.
    Scope does also tirelessly work behind the scenes in making the voice of disabled people heard.
    Take care. <3
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shezz
    As mentioned above, that was a hard read but I thank you for writing it for us. 

I'm glad that the helpline has been so nice for you and are supporting you through. Just to ask about your current living situation, are you under the care of your local authority at all? Have you had a needs assessment for your circumstances? And are you able to effectively manage your mental health?

Hi @chiarieds
    There is a Tom still in helpline, yes. I assume it's still the same one :) 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Not a good story to read, the problem is that they are using sanctions from the start not as a final action, in 2019 we had the opportunity to effect real change by electing a new govt. committed to making real change in this rotten to the core system, instead we elected the same old people by a wider margin, it truly makes my blood boil. But then I suupose we get the govt. and system we deserve unless we are prepared to vote for change.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ross_Alumni
    woodbine said:
    Not a good story to read, the problem is that they are using sanctions from the start not as a final action, in 2019 we had the opportunity to effect real change by electing a new govt. committed to making real change in this rotten to the core system, instead we elected the same old people by a wider margin, it truly makes my blood boil. But then I suupose we get the govt. and system we deserve unless we are prepared to vote for change.
    And as much as those in power have let many people down, when those elections come around they sure are good at persuading people otherwise, in general.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    The problem with the last election it was tainted with what the whole of the last 4 years were tainted by, brexit.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ross_Alumni
    edited January 2021
    woodbine said:
    The problem with the last election it was tainted with what the whole of the last 4 years were tainted by, brexit.
    The B word, yes. It was, I agree with you.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you @Ross_Scope - good to hear Tom is still helping; meymay93 really appreciated all his kindness & help.
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi @Shezz, really sorry to hear of what you've been through and of Phil's passing.
    It is unacceptable that the DWP's decisions cause so much physical and mental hardship.

Unfortunately, local government and social services are also making life difficult for disabled people. Since my care hours were cut from 30 to 20 per week, two years ago, I've been struggling and my quality of life has definitely suffered, as my physical conditions have deteriorated. The council is more interested in their budget than helping disabled people lead fulfilling lives. 

I do hope that you can now get the help you need. Please don't give up. 
    Think about contacting the charity Turn2us, in case they can help. Certainly bear the Samaritans, Mind or any local mental health charities in mind. Of course please keep in touch with the lovely people at Scope. 
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    PS. @Shezz, have you made use of food banks or other food providing charities? Even the Red Cross and Salvation Army can help in some areas.

If you are over 60 you could consult Age UK and even the Royal Voluntary Service. 
    Best wishes to you. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2021
  • [Deleted User]
    edited January 2021
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Shezz I had a bad time in care I was in  a home for disabled children twio years myself and the others maybe longer took it people don't belive though and that was hard 

I am glad that scope are helping you they are very good  and so glad thst things are getting sorted  for you I am always interested in what you say  what your going through will help others when I lost my job I went down hill very quickly I had no money no food I got back on my feet selling things I didnt realy want to sell

I also had the help and support  from my village I live in so thst was good also tesco sent me a free delivery of food to last me a month as I was a carer in the community  and very well known as I had also helped with the disability promise in my local tesco  to employ People  with disability and they wanted to give something back not everyone gets support 

Two years ago I helped to run a petition for more help with disability support we got over a million signatures  little by little support is creeping in but not fast enough 

But help is out there as you have found with scope in my area we don't have to go to the local food bank you phone the number and they deliver to the house  not all areas do that our food bank ran out of supplies a couple of times becsuse there were so many 

Alot of people like footballers and people with money were helping out in some areas my local village all put together to get children Xmas presents  I live on my own and revived from the village Xmas presents and Xmas day a lovely Xmas dinner and boxing day turkey  soup 

Lockdown has been worse I have had corona virus last two weeks that has made me very week an its been hard to get help this time and its hard to get shopping slots  fingers crossed I will be stro g enough to go to the shops in a couple of days as my lupus has flared up because of the corona virus 

Your a lovely lady and I am glad that all is now going well with you and that scope have helped you 

Tske care lovely lady 
  • [Deleted User]
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Shezz I can still read your comments  hope your ok 
  • [Deleted User]
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Shezz I am getting better well better than I was 

Glad your ok and getting the help and support you need 

Sending virtual tlc back to you 

Take care 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hi @Shezz

Hope you're well.

I'm glad the energy support service is helping you :) You mentioned earlier that you aren't under the care of your local authroity at the moment. Has the helpline team discussed the possibility of a needs assessment referral for you? This might be helpful to see if there is any support your local authroity could putin place for you.

Again, thank you for speaking so honestly about your experience, struggles, and optimism for the future. You will thrive and succeed I'm sure :) 

Brightness