I got my PIP report and it says I don't need assistance for multiple descriptors. Might apply for MR — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I got my PIP report and it says I don't need assistance for multiple descriptors. Might apply for MR

wilko
wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
edited January 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello members, I requested a copy of my PIP assessment report, it arrived today and on several comments for different descriptors because I drive an automatic car which is easy access no adaptions and I can use a class three mobility scooter and a smaller boot scooter I have been deemed to not require assistance and can manage, because I haven’t had regular falls and my abilities to drive and use mobility scooters is used against me on the first four descriptors . Looks as if I’ll being applying for an MR, when the award letter arrives.

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck with it @wilko, I hope it goes well for you.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Sorry to hear your report isnt what you expected 

This does seem to be a common occurrence I'm not saying it's right 

They seem to think if you have the ability to control a car or scooter you can complete daily tasks 

Does the rest give you enough points for an award ? 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @wilko I am sorry to hear that in my opinion if you need to use scoters and things it means you can't walk far if at all  that's just my opinion 

The report though could be changed by the decision maker you will realy have to wait until the decision comes 

As you say though if the decision maker has not awarded  you what you want you can go for mr and there is also appeal so the battle hasn't been lost yet 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    If the decision is as you fear, I wish you the best of luck with the appeal @wilko

Let us know if you need any support with it.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @wilko how many points did you score for care and for mobility? I agree that it is wrong to say someone can do something even when they need aids of some kind in order to do that.
    The DWP DM doesn't always go with the HCP report so you never know.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• wilko
    @woodbine, I got 6 for daily living and 12 for mobility nothing has changed I used a manual car and had two scooters at my last two face to face assessments. But because I use an unadapted automatic car and two mobility scooters one boot one it’s deemed I have good extensive use of my hands those who use s know what little effort is needed to operate them. As for driving my car is an ex mobility car very low mileage very light steering and red hot brakes they may have been set up for the previous owner I don’t know but great to drive.
  • woodbine
    So the good news is you got enhance mobility, you are 2 points short for standard rate care.

• wilko
    @woodbine, I was on enhanced mobility and standard care but my needs had changed so reported a change of circumstances to DWP filled in the form had phone assessment and when I did a self test I scored 18 for care so went back over it not picking at each descriptor and still got 13 points. I need help with food preparation, dressing getting cloths ready, washing and showering hair washing, and minor other one but totally would get enhanced care or minimum standard care. What is annoying is on four descriptors because I use a mobility scooter and drive a non adapted automatic car. My car is an ex mobility car it has really light steering and super brakes I don’t know if this is standard for the car or adapted for the previous owner, it was 4 years old less than 9000 miles a service ever year so we loved the colour and the spec so did a deal, it’s a diesel euro 6 for admissions so super clean. Why the assessor a paramedic assumes that because I use mobility scooters and drive an automatic car I can prepare food and cook, or wash hair in a shower when I have balance issues due to my MS. Thanks for responding.
  • woodbine
    I must admit I find the "self test" (how can I put this) a little bit dangerous, i've tried it a number of times and almost always come back with a different score each time, it's not easy to be objective about ourselves. You could try welfare rights to get some advice if you need /want to do an MR.

• wilko
    @Ross-Scope, thanks for you offer of help and advice. I would be grateful for any advice for wording to use to get my disgust at being judged able to preform descriptors because I use an automatic car and mobility scooters.  So it transpires that I have the abilities to preform the the first four descriptors and wash and shower myself  while having balance issues due to my MS.
  • wilko
    @janer1967, thanks for your reply it’s a very busy time all came at once, PIP assessment, Hospital phone consultations, sorting pension out. Anyway back to PIP I was receiving standard care and enhanced mobility, my report gives me 6 point daily living and enhanced mobility as before. I was on low daily living before and put in for a change of circumstances as we are required to inform DWP my needs have changed for the worst I need more help. As I now drive a non adapted automatic car and use a boot scooter and a class 3 for dog walking I have been deemed able to preform the first four descriptors.
  • janer1967
    Hi again 

I understand you wanting to voice your anger but try and avoid this 

You need to concentrate on explaining why you cant do the tasks against the descriptors 

Give real examples of what happens when you try do the task.  Do you need help or use aids,  can you do the task if not why not 
    Can you do it safely reliably and repeatedly 

How do you feel after trying to do task 

Eg when I have a shower i need help from my.partner to undress. I use a seat to sit on under the shower . My partner has yo wash my back and my hair.  If I dont sit down I slip and fall due to dizziness 

I need help to get in and out my partner supports me and then has to try me 

I am totally exhausted after a shower and unable to do anything physical for rest of day I just sit in a chair and try get over my exhaustion 

This is just example of sort of thing you could put 

Good luck with mr 
  • wilko
    @janer1967, thank you for your reply, I gave and put in my change of circumstances application form, but the HP noted on the first four descriptors that I can get myself into a non adapted automatic car and use two mobility scooters one a large class three and a boot scooter. I was using the same scooters but driving a manual car when I had my first F2F assessment nothing was noted or mentioned in my report to the decision maker, I was awarded the correct award notification in my opinion on each occasion. I went from standard on both to standard on daily living to enhanced in mobility as my circumstances had changed. So two years later my daily living needs have changed so I put in for a change of circumstances as my review would have been due in April 2021 and while my change was being uploaded onto the system I received like many others an extension to my award. I shall wait for the award notification letter then phone DWP and start an MR and hopefully the decision maker will call to amend the award or it will continue with a full MR then on to a Tribunal hearing if necessary. It boarders on the line of discrimination.
  • janer1967
    Different assessors all see things different unfortunately 

Hopefully your mr will change the decision 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.