I'm on ESA with SDP. I haven't been told about moving to UC. Could someone shed some light on this? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm on ESA with SDP. I haven't been told about moving to UC. Could someone shed some light on this?

dynasty30
dynasty30 Community member Posts: 88 Courageous
I’m currently on ESA with SDP I’ve noticed on google this morning that as from today they roll out the universal credit rule.
ive not been informed as yet about the change but obviously worried as means a five weeks without money and looks like SDP ceases altogether can someone shed some light on this for me thanks 

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    The move isn’t instant. 

If you choose to move to UC you can do so. 

The only way I believe you will be forced too is if you have a change in circumstances. 
  • dynasty30
    I’ve no change in circumstances so for the time being I would remain on the esa with SDP ? 
    I was so panicked by what I read today 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Adrian_Scope can you advise here 

@dynasty30 you may find a similar post helpful on this it is in the recent discussions 
  • mark2411
    mark2411 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Everyone eventually will be moved onto uc by 2023, unless this has changed. 
    Don’t apply for uc as you are on sdp, eventually you will automatically be moved onto uc, and you will have transition protection, you won’t loose sdp.
  • MarkM88
    More information below, however I believe you wont be forced across to UC at the moment, unless you either a) want to or b) have a change of circumstances. Obviously in the future when natural migration happens you wont be able to avoid it. 

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2021/january/claimants-severe-disability-premium-awards-no-longer-exempt-requirement-claim
  • dynasty30
    Thank you both I appreciate that,I’m assuming when the change does happen I will lose my SDP as that doesn’t exist within the UC roll out.
    as I’ve come to rely on that for extra heating due to my vascular disease? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    As above you will have transustion protection  so wont lose SDP 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    The managed transfer to UC starts from today that's fact, how long it will take is an unknown and might be as late as 2025 for everybody. You will get transitional relief so you are not worse off BUT that relief will never be increased so over the years you will move towards whatever you are entitled to on UC.
    They have done this in the past with other benefits, one example I think i'd be right in quoting would be the move from SDA to IB in 2001
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• dynasty30
    Thank you what was most worried about was my SDP would not longer exist when the transition occurs would I then be on the flat rate as per say someone who wasn’t disabled 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @dynasty30 transitional relief will in effect mean that when you are migrated you will still get the same amount each week, BUT that amount won't increase each year 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    Just to clarify the SDP element that will be honoured in UC can decrease if another element of UC was to increase. I’ll copy the relevant text below:

This means that if a claimant’s UC entitlement increases - for example if their rent goes up or even if they become 25 years old and so entitled to a higher personal allowance - the amount of the transitional SDP element, worth between £120 and £405 a month, will decrease by the same amount.

So a claimant will be no receive an increase and the worth of their transitional award for loss of SDP will continue to decrease over time.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Many people have already ‘naturally’ migrated from legacy benefits to UC. To date the law has prevented legacy claimants entitled to SDP from naturally migrating to UC. The change that has now occurred is that the exclusion is removed so claimants with SDP are I now in the same position as everyone else (but will benefit from the SDP transition element if they meet the conditions for it).

if someone has a relevant change of circumstances that would require a new means tested benefit claim then that claim will now have to be for UC and the act of claiming UC will close any other means tested benefits. 

For the time being if there is no relevant change of circumstances means tested legacy benefits continue as now.

Non means tested benefits are not affected at all.

The only means tested benefit outside all of this is Council Tax Reduction which continues to be administered by local authorities.

Last  target for completion of managed migration was 2024 but OBR had commented that 2026 seemed more realistic. Whether COVID has delayed things or quickened them (because many have naturally migrated) is unclear. Bear in mind that original date for completion was (I think) 2016 so keeping to the timetable is not a feature (just as with transfer from IB to ESA, DLA to PIP etc.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • dynasty30
    many many thanks for all the replies seems a lot clearer now 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad the above advice has been helpful @dynasty30 :) Please do comment or post if you have any further questions. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Regarding the issue of 'manged migration' of legacy benefit claimants to UC I have come across this recent written answer in the house of commons
    Written questions and answers - Written questions, answers and statements - UK Parliament
    Question: "To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, pursuant to the Answer of 23 November 2020 to Question 116496, on Universal Credit: Coronavirus, what the revised timeframe is for the universal credit managed migration pilot in Harrogate."
    Answer: "The Pilot remains suspended as the Department continues to focus on delivering its part of the Government’s ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic."
    With the pilot suspended the whole migration process is clearly in limbo at the moment.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.