Prescription Clear Wraparound Glasses/Safety Glasses — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Prescription Clear Wraparound Glasses/Safety Glasses

Options
OverlyAnxious
OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
Hi all,

Bit of a weird one this but my vision issues seem to be getting worse, especially with regard to screen use.  I had an eye test back in August 2019 that said my vision was fine surprisingly, but that I had an astigmatism that would be causing the fuzziness and eye strain on just one eye.  It is always one eye that feels strained and for the last month or so is regularly twitching after even a small amount of 'focus' reading screens or playing xbox etc.

Now, here's the complicated part - I'm not able to wear 'normal' glasses as they make me feel dizzy and nauseous - this has applied to sunglasses and also sadly applied to the prescription glasses that I got to help correct the astigmatism during screen use.  I believe it's due to the depth perception, either of 'flat' glasses and curved eyes, or by being able to see the rims at close proximity right next to the 'distant' items around them.

I have been able to wear wraparound sunglasses for the last few years which seems to work fine.  And I've just suddenly wondered if they make clear prescription wraparounds at all...as something to try at home with screens.  

It turns out they do make clear safety glasses with prescription lenses...  So the question is, does anyone use these?  Does the prescription still work in a curved lens?  And can you recommend anywhere to buy from online?  I'm happy to pay for them out of the PIP so that's not a problem but don't want to spend too much in case it still doesn't help.

Thanks

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I would suggest you see an optician who will be able to advise better than anyone 

It sounds like you need something quite specific and I dont think you will get this online and if you want to try the frames first you wont have that option 

You can get clear lenses i do in one eye that is blind 

If you get free prescription glasses you will only have to pay the difference of the cost 

Spec savers do home visits if you are disabled and unable to get out 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    Thanks @janer1967

I tried to explain it to the optician at the time but they didn't understand what I meant.  I've already got the prescription and can find quite a few online, just looking for a recommendation on any specific sites that people have used ideally.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ok hope you find something 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
          I use glasses direct all the time, not sure they do the glasses you are looking for but its worth a look. I have never had a problem with any of my glasses from them.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @OverlyAnxious

I don't personally use the sort of glasses you describe there, but I do use some for screens. I have central vision loss and with that comes increased sensitivity to light, I got a pair of amber tinted glasses a few years ago with an anti-glare lens built into them so that looking at screens became much easier. 

I am surprised that your optician wasn't sure what you meant but it's good to know you do have the prescription. I don't personally know of any sites to recommend, but I just wanted to ask if you use any kind of accessibility software when using screens? Particularly on laptops and phones you can do stuff now that dramatically reduces the amount to which you need to rely on your vision.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options

a similar problem is that for glasses wearers, it is impossible to get a close fit of protective eye covering.  Paint sprayers, for instance, need to protect eyes and nose and mouth from fine particle spray.   But doing that with glasses is impossible 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options

I am surprised that your optician wasn't sure what you meant but it's good to know you do have the prescription.
    Thanks Ross.  The problem I have with any sort of medical assessment is that they all rely on verbal communication.  Sadly the eloquent OverlyAnxious that you get on here isn't the same one that appears in a social situation, either face to face or on the telephone.  

I had heard of a blue-light filter in glasses which can help with screens but not an amber tint so will look into that.  I am very light sensitive but didn't actually mention that to the optician at the time.  I have to wear sunglasses outside almost all year round, and find artificial light difficult at home or in supermarkets as well.  I can't actively use screens at all under artificial light so just sit in the dark with the TV on in the winter evenings (and on energy saving mode to keep the light levels low).  

I hadn't even considered any of the accessibility software (until I posted this thread I didn't really consider myself to have a 'proper' visual impairment lol) but that's a good idea and could be really useful so will look into that too.

• OverlyAnxious
    Options
    newborn said:

a similar problem is that for glasses wearers, it is impossible to get a close fit of protective eye covering.  Paint sprayers, for instance, need to protect eyes and nose and mouth from fine particle spray.   But doing that with glasses is impossible 
    That's a good point!  I suppose there is the option of contact lenses though I'm not sure whether they'd be safe inside airtight goggles for hours at a time.

I have found this place which make safety glasses and goggles with prescription lenses - Prescription safety glasses - safetyspecs.co.uk

However on their wraparounds they state some image distortion which is putting me off trying them.  I have also found this place making sports style wraps with 'curve technology' that is supposed to avoid any distortion, but at a much higher price point currently.  More than I'd be willing to risk, but the technology looks interesting and may filter down in time.  Curve technology | Optilabs

Brightness