I receive NS ESA Support Group and PIP. Will I be asked to transfer to UC after I retire next year? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I receive NS ESA Support Group and PIP. Will I be asked to transfer to UC after I retire next year?

mosarah2
mosarah2 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, I'm aged 64 and currently in receipt of Contribution ESA Support Group (with the enhance disability premium) I also claim Standard Rate living rate and Higher rate PIP Mobility Rate. I retire in April 2022, will I be asked to transfer to UC?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Will you be at retirement age when you retire ? 

Are you working now or just claiming your benefits 

I'm not really knowledgeable about retirement but would have thought one you are at retirement age it would be state pension rather than UC as UC is a working age benefit 

I will tag in someone who I think could help youn

@Adrian_Scope can you advise here please 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @janer1967 I think you can still still get pip sfter pension age my daughters mother in law does and she is 70  unless other things affect it I am not sure  its only what I have been told and not what I know 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    @lisathomas50, yes you can receive pip after retirement age, but I’m pretty sure you can’t get uc if you’re getting a state pension. 

Another thing you cant get is attendance allowance if you’re getting pip but the amounts are identical when comparing just the daily living component, pip also has a mobility component in addition of course.
    https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance/what-youll-get
    https://www.gov.uk/pip/what-youll-get

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    @janer1967 there is a comment on another thread where I asked if esa will change to universal credit  

From what I can gather new style esa will remain but the old esa will be changed to universal credit 

I k ow of someone else that has been changed to universal credit 

This is only what I have been told 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @leeCal from my own experience  you can retire at any age but not entitled to state pension until your 67  but the whole benefit system is being g changed round my mum gets the new pension credits 

It is only from my own experience not fact 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @lisathomas50 I’m retiring at sixty six and will receive a state pension.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    @lisathomas50

I didnt say anything about not getting PIP yes you can still claim pip after retirement age as long as you have an award in place prior to retiring 

I was referring to UC as stated this is a work age benefit and esa is too as in employment support allowance ? 

I'm not sure if you can still get some of the elements like housing element 

This is why I tagged in @Adrian_Scope so he can give the op his advice 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,612 Disability Gamechanger
    State retirement age is 66 it will eventually become 67 but not for a few years yet, once you reach SR age you will see your SRP replace your UC  which is an overlapping benefit, the state pension is now the new unified pension currently £175 per week, PIP can continue as long as you fulfil the criteria.
    To get the new unified SRP you will need 35 years N.I cont to get the full rate, if you have less but at least 10 years you will get a %.
    If you have a private pension in place its not a bad idea to talk to pensionwise about your options.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    Can we not try and confuse the op anymore and wait till someone who knows can clarify this for them 
  • janer1967
    @woodbine

Thanks for that and clearing things up 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @leeCal I wasn't going off fact for every one my retirement age is 67  on my pension letter I realise now thst  there are four pension ages 

I apologise 
  • Dappaman786
    Dappaman786 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi.  From what I know if you are on ESA and PIP you should also be getting a Severe Disability Premium.  If you're not receiving it then I suggest you claim it from ESA.  Because of this payment they cannot move you to UC because the system currently is unavailable.
  • woodbine

• woodbine
    Hi.  From what I know if you are on ESA and PIP you should also be getting a Severe Disability Premium.  If you're not receiving it then I suggest you claim it from ESA.  Because of this payment they cannot move you to UC because the system currently is unavailable.
    To qualify for SDP you have to be receiving standard or enhanced care PIP, you also have to be receiving IR ESA not just cont. no one should be claiming carers allowance for looking after you and if you live with anyone over the age of 18 if they don't also receive PIP/DLA/AA then you can't get SDP.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hello @mosarah2 and a warm welcome to the community. I'm sorry for the conflicting advice you've been given so far.

Can I ask a few more questions to try and help you? Is April 2022 when you're eligible for state pension?
    Do you currently claim any income-related benefits? Do you live with a partner and if so, will they be of state pension age or below?

(Thanks for the tag @janer1967)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    mosarah2 said:
    Hi, I'm aged 64 and currently in receipt of Contribution ESA Support Group (with the enhance disability premium) I also claim Standard Rate living rate and Higher rate PIP Mobility Rate. I retire in April 2022, will I be asked to transfer to UC?
    UC is a working age benefit.

If you are single and April 2022 is when you will turn 66 then the following applies:
    Your ESA will stop
    Your State Pension will start
    Your PIP will continue
    You may be entitled to some Pension Credit to top up your pension.

If you have a partner who is younger than you then you will be a mixed age couple and would not be able to apply for Pension Credit and would be eligible UC.

Pension Credit and UC are of course means tested so any entitlement would depend on your circumstances.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.