I could do with a haircut, is there anywhere open during lockdown 3? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I could do with a haircut, is there anywhere open during lockdown 3?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
Above.

Sensible answers please, any trolling/rude answers will be flagged for the attention of the Mods.

Comments

• MPowell_1991
    MPowell_1991 Community member Posts: 83 Courageous
    I believe none are open under current national lockdown measures unfortunately, my missus does mine and does a marvelous job might i add, but still pokes fun at the fact that i should be paying her 7 quid a time haha
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @MrAllen1976 as far as I am aware there are no hairdressers open due to lockdown 

I think you may have to wait 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I dont think hairdressers or barbers are open 

I dont know if mobile ones are able to come out either 

You might have to get a set of clippers and get your parents to do it for you 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    OK I'll ask Mum, I need a shave as well but I've no blades left in the bathroom :(

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Unfortunately I’m in the same position, I could do with a hair cut too. 

Under current regulations you should only be leaving your home for essential journeys. 

Alongside this hair and beauty salons are not allowed to open. 

This also includes not been able to provide these services in other peoples homes. 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I also could do with a hair cut, I'm using a head band to keep it out of my eyes :D 

But yeah, as mentioned above @MrAllen1976 hair dressers aren't open at the minute.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    I bought a lovely pair of clippers. 
    I also bought two extra guide combs of an inch and a quarter and an inch and a half so that I could have my hair longer.
    now I cut my own hair and have no further need of barbers whatsoever. 
    Cost me about fifty pounds and I was charged about twelve pounds per haircut say four times a year. Ie hair grows at around 1/4 of an inch a month. 

The first time takes a bit of courage but you really can’t go wrong imo with the use of guide combs.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    senior management has done mine with clippers for about 15 years now saved me a fortune, have the lot shaved off every month, @MrAllen1976 as for having a shave the supermarkets all sell razors or you can get them off amazon.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Depends what sort of trim you have, but a clipper cut is surprisingly easy, even to do yourself!

I've always hated haircuts as I don't like being touched.  When Covid started I went months without a haircut but eventually got a set of clippers and realised I could do it myself.  The only trouble I have is I have one mirror and that's attached the bathroom wall.  So I can't see the back to cut a perfectly straight line above my neck.  I just put my hand flat across and trim right up to it...hopefully it doesn't look too bad...but as long as it looks ok from 2 metres away that should be fine in the current situation!  :D
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious to cut the bottom at the back I use a bobble hat pulled down and then just gently follow the edge. Slightly curved and looks fine. Big bobble hat not a small one!

If you need two mirrors the barbers mirrors are cheap enough on amazon, I think mine cost me about £6. I fixed one to one wardrobe door and one to the other and now I just need to angle the doors apart to see most of my head. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    leeCal said:
    @OverlyAnxious to cut the bottom at the back I use a bobble hat pulled down and then just gently follow the edge. Slightly curved and looks fine. Big bobble hat not a small one!

If you need two mirrors the barbers mirrors are cheap enough on amazon, I think mine cost me about £6. I fixed one to one wardrobe door and one to the other and now I just need to angle the doors apart to see most of my head. 
    What a good idea!!  I'd never thought about using a hat.  I don't usually wear one but think I must have one somewhere, along with scarf and gloves that I never wear either!  (Thick hooded coat and pockets)

It's not so much the cost of the mirrors as trying to find somewhere to fix them for me, but I reckon the hat-trick might work without needing a second mirror anyway.

Brightness