My Youtube Channel - "Words on Wheels" — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My Youtube Channel - "Words on Wheels"

MPowell_1991
MPowell_1991 Community member Posts: 83 Courageous
edited January 2021 in Research and opportunities
hi guys and girls! Firstly a very happy new year to you. I have been in touch with Scope today about an issue and my call agent by the name of 'Callum' was extremely helpful, he pointed me in the direction of this "community" so here i am, with my opening post.

Fingers crossed that 2021 can be a prosperous one for us all. I am actually due to get married in April although with COVID plans may change but fingers crossed. Anyway to the purpose of my post....

I have recently started my own YouTube channel entitled "Words on Wheels" (you can see my content at the following link - https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMPowell1991 

being a quadriplegic and given i'm immensely outspoken and opinionated i took on this new project which aims at adressing a number of key topics for people with disabilities. Whether that be, struggles with public transport, personal relationships, access to work and/or public transport the list is honestly endless. This is a very new project and my confidence is still developing though so please bare with me as the weeks and months progress. 

Throughout the course of 2021 and beyond i'll be posting weekly videos which will be uploaded onto my channel on a Friday and i'd like to share some of your stories and experiences too! You can choose to remain anonymous should you wish.

Should you have any questions about any of the content on my channel or anything you want to ask me in general, please get in touch.

You can reach me on either Twittter or Instagram - @mpowell_1991 or respond to this discussion thread.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Regards, Michael x

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @MPowell_1991 and welcome to the community. How are you? 

I think it's great that you've started a channel, it will be a good chance for you to express yourself and spread awareness.

Would you please be able to send us an email to community@scope.org.uk to let us know hwo you plan on using the stories and data you collect from those who take part? In terms of how you will store it and what you will do with the information exactly. How will people give you their stories, will it be spoken or written?

Cheers
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MPowell_1991
    Hi Ross.

A massive thanks for getting in touch with me, it's much appreciated. As a result of the COVID pandemic i really wanted to draw my focus to my personal experiences covering a variety of topics. I'm aware, as i'm sure you are that many like myself have to overcome various obstacles and barriers.

The channel itself is my creation if you will, a chance to share stories and experiences and hopefully an opportunity to create a real and meaningful difference.

I shall send an email across shortly to outline my plan, and really hope you can support my vision.
    Kind Regards

Michael
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger

Events, research and opportunities disclaimer

The Events, research and opportunities board is the only board that permits the publishing of posts with an email, contact number or survey link.

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and the Community Guidelines.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
     Hi @MPowell_1991 - may I add my 'welcome to the community,' & thank you for joining, Michael. I'll try & have a look at your Youtube link later. It sounds like you have a lot to share. It's also great to see you responding around the community. :)
  • MPowell_1991
    chiarieds said:
     Hi @MPowell_1991 - may I add my 'welcome to the community,' & thank you for joining, Michael. I'll try & have a look at your Youtube link later. It sounds like you have a lot to share. It's also great to see you responding around the community. :)
    Many thanks @chiarieds, i'm really enjoying exploring the community and contributing to discussion. If you could take a look at some of my content and share with anyone you feel that it might benefit, that would be great. I'm hoping post pandemic, i can begin on my public speaking journey where i can share my experiences in schools, colleges and universities that may be interested :)

A very happy new year to you!
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome, & a very Happy New Year to you too, especially with your upcoming wedding!
    You must get to meet @WestHam06 - you share the same interest in sharing experience from a disabled point of view to young people, & you both have a very positive attitude. :)
  • MPowell_1991
    Many thanks @chiarieds - just keeping everything crossed that all wedding plans can proceed.

i look forward to hearing from you, @WestHam06 and hope that we can engage in discussion sometime soon, please drop me a mention or inbox me directly :) 
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @MPowell_1991
                                      How are you? Welcome to the community and thank you for joining us. I have just watched a couple of your videos and they are amazing, I particularly like the one where you speak of your experiences within the education system. I, like yourself, am keen to share my experiences as a disabled person with students from across the education sector. I passionately believe that by educating at a young age it can help to remove stereotypes and can promote positive attitudes towards disability. I also believe there also needs to be more disabled role models within the education system, both for students with disabilities and those without. I am currently exploring ways as to how I can do this and it does surprise me a little that they are not really that many provisions for something like this including in the charity sector. I would be happy to discuss your thoughts on this further and what your plans are if you are happy too. Best wishes with your wedding, let's hope it is able to go ahead as planned. Thank you.  
  • WestHam06
    Thank you for tagging me in @chiarieds, much appreciated :) Thank you. 
  • MPowell_1991
    WestHam06 said:
    Hi @MPowell_1991
                                      How are you? Welcome to the community and thank you for joining us. I have just watched a couple of your videos and they are amazing, I particularly like the one where you speak of your experiences within the education system. I, like yourself, am keen to share my experiences as a disabled person with students from across the education sector. I passionately believe that by educating at a young age it can help to remove stereotypes and can promote positive attitudes towards disability. I also believe there also needs to be more disabled role models within the education system, both for students with disabilities and those without. I am currently exploring ways as to how I can do this and it does surprise me a little that they are not really that many provisions for something like this including in the charity sector. I would be happy to discuss your thoughts on this further and what your plans are if you are happy too. Best wishes with your wedding, let's hope it is able to go ahead as planned. Thank you.  
    @WestHam06 - my apologies in taking such a long time to get back to you, it has been a crazy few weeks for myself. Thank you, i'm hoping to get things back off the ground in the next week or so with the vlog. I really wanted to try and inspire others to push and strive to achieve, hopefully the vlog can continue to break down stigmas and barriers as time moves forward :) i would love to discuss, either via this forum or in whatever way you feel most comfortable with.

I look forward to hearing from you again soon.
  • WestHam06
    Hi @MPowell_1991
                                      No problem, I hope everything is ok. Thank you for replying, I absolutely agree that stigmas and barriers need to be broken down and believe one way of doing this is through educating people. Please do PM me here on the community or on this post to discuss this further. Thank you. 
  • colet
    colet CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 101 Pioneering
    Hello @MPowell_1991

I have created a YouTube channel in the first  lockdown 

it is called Wheelchair Fun 

https://instabio.cc/Wheelchairfun 

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.