How many books do you read per year? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How many books do you read per year?

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
A question, following on from the book thread.

A family member who is into reading reviews their book reading every New Year and usually has read about 50 or about 1 a week. I consider that a lot but wondering if others read more.

I probably “read” 1 book every 6 weeks. I have trouble concentrating, so usually listen to non fiction books or essay-type books.

Audiobooks count!

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I’d say on average I’ve read about four books a year for the last five years. Prior to that even less. Years ago I didn’t read any at all. It probably shows too.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang I read around 30 books a year on average 
  • 66Mustang
    @leeCal definitely doesn’t show, you seem very well read to me!!

@lisathomas50 impressive  :)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you @66Mustang you’re very kind. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I don't read anywhere near as much as I used to these days, last year I bought 2 programming books for Unity on Amazon, and I think I've read about the first 3 or 4 pages if that.

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @66Mustang A lot! I have been known to devour a book in a day. I always have a pile of books waiting to be read and quite a few on my kindle app. I love bring around books and miss my library trips.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I usually get through an averaged sized paperback in a week, so I suppose I probably read around 45 books last year, I love reading and have read since I was about 8 years old, I even read through my teenage years.
    Senior management also reads, even more than I do. (keeps her quiet lol )
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    I normally go through a book in about a week at most
  • 66Mustang
    Thank you everyone for posting, interesting to hear about peoples reading habits :)

@Cressida that’s very impressive. I’ve done the same while on holiday but during normal times a week is a quick amount of time for me to “devour” a book!
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    I read about ten books a year, i tend to reread books to, especially Terry Pratchett, the discworld series,
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't read books but i do like my magazines x
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    I love reading but the number of books read in a year depends very much on how many pages in the books.

Some books I read may only be between 200 or 300 pages.  While others may have over 1,000.

Some books are an easy comfortable read which I have read many times.  Others require much more concentration. 

I probably average about 30 books a year, a mixture of long and short ones, easy and complicated. 
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    My reading habits vary, sometimes I go through spells when I’m reading all the time, especially when a particular subject has me gripped, then I can have a spell when I don’t read any books. I do love reading though, sometimes it takes you to another world. 
  • FunWithChemo
    FunWithChemo Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    I have a Goodreads challenge to read 100 books this year 2022 and am ahead of schedule so far so should easily accomplish this... I consider myself to be an avid reader. I first began reading at age 4 when my Mom bought me The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe. She used to read to us from 101 Famous Poems, and I loved The Raven, so she bought the Complete Poe. I like to laugh and say I turned out this way from reading Poe at 4...
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Zero.  I haven't read a book cover to cover since GCSE English! 

Just don't have the concentration to read large blocks of text and don't have the mental imagination to understand them without some visual or practical application.  I do enjoy learning though, so watch plenty of documentaries on TV and read lots of info online to do that.  :)

I even watch the odd fiction film although I can't often follow the plot lol.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not a book reading but my daughter is. It's not unusual for her to read a 500 page book in 1 day. I can never understand how she reads so quickly. She has ASD but one of her strong points is reading and spelling.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness