Council tax — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council tax

Options
louise1985
louise1985 Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
Afternoon 
I hope one of you lovely lot can help me 
I’ve just recieved my council tax bill as moved into a new property 
they have applied the single person element...but I’ve been trying to get in touch with them for weeks even resorted to emailing me but had no response luckily I managed to get through to someone this morning after waiting an hour on hold 
 my question is regarding disabled discount I’m in receipt of Lwrca on my universal credit and have been for 18 months I’m also getting standard rate on pip for daily and higher rate for mobility and have been issued a blue badge from the same council 18 months ago bit when I enquired about adding the disabled element to my council tax I was told basically because I’m not in a wheel chair I don’t quailify...I did question this on the phone as I thought it was wrong but he just said they would send me a form out as I’m on low income is this correct or can I challenge the decision???

thankyou 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

Each council has their own criteria for council tax reduction so we cant really advise 

Some give it for low income,  some if you are on certain benefits and some if you get PIP 

Fill in the form when it comes also there may be some info on your council website 

Hope you get it sorted 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Council Tax Reduction and Council tax discounts are two different things. Council Tax Reduction is a benefit to help people may their Council Tax bill. Council Tax discount/exemptions (such as the 25% single person discount) reduce the bill liability itself.

As regards discounts for disabled people these are limited. See https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-for-disabled-people. From the limited information you have posted it doesn't sound as if you would qualify.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.