Your hopes for Joe Biden's presidency? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Your hopes for Joe Biden's presidency?

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited January 2021 in Coffee lounge
Following his victory over Donald Trump in the 2020 election, Joe Biden will be inaugurated this coming Wednesday, January 20th, as the next president of the United States.
Following his announcement in early 2019 that he would be running for president, it has been a fierce 2 year battle to this moment for the 78 year old, who will take office with Kamala Harris as his vice-president.
american flag

What are your hopes for Joe Biden's presidency?

With this being the start of a new chapter in US history, it will be interesting to see what Biden's presidency holds not only for the United States, but for the UK and the rest of the world. We're curious to hear from you:
  • What are your thoughts and hopes for Biden's presidency?
  • What impact, if at all, do you think this will have on disability equality and the attitudes towards disabled people?
  • How do you reflect on the term of the outgoing president, Donald Trump?
Just a reminder, I'm aware that politics can be quite a divisive, lively subject to discuss, please ensure that all comments are kept tasteful and respectful. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts :) 
Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Well at this point in North America's storied history, almost anyone would be a better President than Trump ever was, let's face it, Bill Clinton was impeached and all he ever did was have it away with his Intern... Allegedly anyway.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    I think thst Joe Biden will have a tough time with the American people as there are alot of trump supporters  but I think with alot of hard work he will overcome it 

Its like any president or prime minister they talk the talk but can the walk the walk they make sll those promises to do things and some happen some dont 

Whatever he does has to be better than trump  and hopefuly Joe Biden will act like an adult unlike trump who throws his toys out the pram when he cant get his own way 

In my opinion I think we have to wait and see what he does once he is the president  for me the Jury is out at the moment only thing I can say he has got to be better than trump 
  • [Deleted User]
    Well technically Trumpet's still President till Biden is sworn in on Wednesday, but I don't follow US Politics anyway, even though I can name all the Presidents in my life time, Nixon, Bush senior, Clinton, George W Bush, Barack Obama, Trump and now Biden.

• Lisatho11987777
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Whilst we are told daily that Trump got 73 million votes Biden got over 80 million, he will so I read on Weds after he has been sworn in start to unravel Trumps years by executive orders he will rejoin the Paris accord, he will start trying to find the missing parents of the children separated from them at the border, he will bring in a almost 2 trillion dollar fiscal package, reverse the Trump ban on people entering the US mainly from muslim nations.and also plans for 1 million a day covid vaccines.

He has a lot to do, but thankfully won't be running the free world using twitter.
    I wish him well as I'm sure most right minded people do.

There are just two things to look out for, Mike Pence activates the 25th amendment on Tuesday becomes president for a day and pardons Trump..seems unlikely but you never know.
    And of course Trump supporters engage in one final act of violence and revenge.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• woodbine
    it should be remembered that to impeach a president you need a majority in the house but a two thirds majority in the senate (and that's unlikely to happen as the Democrats only have a majority of 1)

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    I hope that Biden is able to start to heal America, it seems to be such a divided country and there does not seem to be much humanity between some groups. That said, the media only seems to show the negative elements and I am sure, like in this country, there are acts of kindness daily which go unnoticed. I wish Biden well but, like with any politician, I think caution needs to be taken and time will tell. Thank you. 
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    I sincerely hope that Joe Biden helps mend the split in America.  Today I see video of Virginian's walking about with all kinds of guns . I was a gun owner ( as most country people were at that time. ). ....but for a safer society I willingly gave up my guns . 

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    As far a a Brit like me is concerned I hope he heals the temporary divide in the USA and then goes on to strengthen America. The world needs a strong but not belligerent USA as a peacekeeper.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• [Deleted User]
    Like I said in the other topic, almost anyone would be a better President at this point than Trump ever was IMHO, I just hope Boris Johnson isn't so far up Mr Biden's bum it's not funny like he was with Trump, UK/US relations have been "special" since the end of WWII, because the US think they "Won the War" for us.

• woodbine
    edited January 2021
    The UK rightly has a special relationship with the US and has had for many many years, leaders may come and leaders may go but the bond remains.
    Good to see that Biden has already started to drive a coach and horses through Trumps most stupid decisions by executive orders.
    As for WW11 the thing was that America fought mainly in the pacific and we fought mainly in Europe upto D day.

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Thank goodness Biden has taken over from Trump! 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @deb74 couldn't agree with you more 
  • lardycake1
    lardycake1 Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    I’m going to get some stick for this but the democrats,particularly Biden,Harris pelosi and the so called squad are going to punish trump and his supporters for having a different point of view,they have neither said or done anything to get republican voters to come on board. We are fed a very specific news coverage in this country which follows a very left wing slant and I can tell from some of the comments on here that we are falling for it all. I was bought up to believe that even though I might hate what you say I would fight to the death for your right to say it. Also sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me. We are so far from those statements in our society at the moment and even more so in the USA. Remember you may be insulted or offended but that doesn’t make you right.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @lardycake1 its nice to see other people's opinions  and politics always kicks up a storm 

If we all thought the same the world would be a boring place 
  • lardycake1
  • jae377
    jae377 Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    Not much, remember this is the same Biden who actively lobbied for IRA terrorists to not be returned to face justice as a Senator- there are published photo's of him with IRA. Refused to answer a BBC question at the recent election  because "I am Irish" (Utter rubbish as you cannot stand for USA president unless American born and a citizen) and made a massive point of inviting an Irish Violinist to play at his inauguration. When Britain fought alone in the War on Terror, Biden was pro terrorist. When the USA was attacked not one British MP did other than condemn the terrorists.
    Does not auger well for trade deals etc.

• lardycake1
    I Agree Biden is a dangerous man, but the American poliicians have meddled in the Irish problem for the longest time using their influence to pressure 7sinto policies that are bad for the uk but good for the Irish/American nationalists. If you follow American politics at all what is happening in America is unbelievable but not surprising. The media and big tech companies basically elected the Democratic Party but remember,revolutions always eat their own.

Brightness