Transferring from dla to pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Transferring from dla to pip

mykiddies3
mykiddies3 Community member Posts: 43 Connected
Hi everyone! Does anyone know what happens when transferring from dla to pip at 16? So my daughter has just been awarded pip which starts in the middle of February! I’ve just been trying to find out if she will continue to get any disability child premium type benefit? As with her dla she had a bit of extra money with the child tax credit? Not sure how it all works ? or is there another benefit she can claim? She is in sixth form college

thankyou 

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Adrian_Scope scope will be able to help and @janer1967 may now so I have tagged them in so hopefuly one of them will reply soon ? 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mykiddies3 - the disabled child element which is included with child tax credit can be claimed with PIP too. Please see: https://contact.org.uk/news-and-blogs/extra-tax-credit-payments-if-youre-claiming-dla/

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Strictly she is not the one getting any child disability premium. You are the one claiming CTC and you get money for your daughter and this includes extra money if she is disabled.
    There will still be a disabled child element, the rate will depend on what level of PIP they have been awarded. If she has Enhanced rate Daily Living the Severely Disabled Child element applies, if not just the Disabled Child element applies.
    Note that it is your responsibility to tell HMRC about the change in benefit she is receiving.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mykiddies3
    Ok Thankyou! Yes she was on low rate dla care but has been awarded enhanced for pip! I still haven’t received the letter from pip but have been told over the phone! Our post is a nightmare at the moment so it could be a few weeks and I know her pip starts from February 15th so should I phone and tell them now? Or wait until the letter arrives? 

Thankyou 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @lisathomas50 thanks for the tag 

@calcotti has responded whi seems to have good knowledge of benefits sorry not seen you around before 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @janer1967 yes they are very good with benefits they have helped me alot today sent me a realy good link that explains alot 
  • calcotti
    Ok Thankyou! Yes she was on low rate dla care but has been awarded enhanced for pip! I
    Although I'm obviously sorry your daughter has difficulties she needs to deal with that's a good result and hopefully the extra money will help make life easier.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mykiddies3
    Thankyou calcotti 
    yes tbh she got the low rate award when she was 8 and I didn’t even know about mandatory reconciderations back then ? I should of done this as she definitely should of qualified for a higher rate! But I’m so glad they have awarded her better this time ? I was so panicky applying for pip as I know most people are ?
  • calcotti
    There are pros and cons to PIP. On the one hand it can be seen as unduly restrictive in terms of the assessment. On the other hand you know exactly what thy are looking for and what will pick up points which can help shape the way you present the information.
  • mykiddies3
    Yea I was worried about this as I hadn’t come across this forum before sending in her form! So that meant I hadn’t heard of the descriptors ? but it all worked out ok ? thankfully!my daughter is mute also so this was worrying me with regards to her assessment! But they did a paper based assessment with just a couple of questions over the phone 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @mykiddies3 in cases like yours this is where I think a pspper based has its purpose glad that you got your award for your daughter 
  • stace1986
    stace1986 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi how do u no if u gonna get a paper based review
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @stace1986 you won't have a telephone assessment by a HCP, although sometimes a DWP DM will phone and check a few things with you.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.