Hi, im AFB18! Is it routine to be asked these kind of questions in a PIP assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, im AFB18! Is it routine to be asked these kind of questions in a PIP assessment?

AFB18
AFB18 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited January 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I had my pip telephone assessment last week, I could hear the typing going non stop, I was asked if I was in a class at school for leaning difficulty’s and if I had ever been in trouble with the police, I’m 55 years old and was wondering if any of you had the same questions? 
Thanks. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Dont worry everyone's questions are different based on their condition and sometimes people think they have no relevance .

If you gave put on your form about learning difficulties or mental health concerns then these questions could be relevant 

Hope you get result you want 

You can request copy of your report after 7 days it isnt final decision but will show recommendations 
  • AFB18
    Thank you, although I was in shock when I was asked if I had ever been in trouble with the police, I can’t see why I would be asked this. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I can imagine you were shocked 

I could only speculate why they would ask this as I dont know what your circumstances are 

See if it is mentioned on your report 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @AFB18 they used to ask if you had ever been to prison  so maybe thsts a more polite way to ask  maybe 

I expect they ask to see if that would affect  a claim  thsts just my opinion 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Hi @AFB18 - & welcome to the community. I hope you are keeping well. I hope those questions didn't throw you; it's difficult enough going through an assessment. Some questions seem random, but sometimes they may have some relevance. When asked in my assessment, I said that I had a genetic disorder. Then the assessor asked how long I'd had it for? This from a nurse. She gave me an odd look when I said since I was born!
    Anyway, as mentioned, about a week after your assessment you can ring the DWP (Tel: 0800 121 4433) & ask for a copy of the assessor's report. At the end of the report you will see a black dot against each activity/descriptor. Then have a look at the following link to see how many points you may have been awarded for both components. Please see: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf     You will still have to wait for your decision letter, but the Decision Maker usually goes along with the assessor's report. Hope that helps. :)

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @AFB18 and welcome to our online community.

I'm glad you found us and hope our members' responses helped reassure you about those seemingly random questions! I recall in my own PIP assessment being asked some very abstract things that didn't seem to make sense at the time.  However, given time and hindsight I better understand now that they were relevant and the assessors asked them to glean insight into how my condition impacted me.  So what I'm trying to say is, you aren't alone in being bemused! 

I've moved your post over to our PIP, DLA and AA discussion board so it's in a good spot for others to see and wish you all the very best with the outcome :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • AFB18
    Hi everyone 

I received my assessment notes and it doesn’t look promising, the nurse has written things that I didn’t say, I’ve not received anything from pip so I don’t know if I will get it, I told her I can’t walk more than 50 meters without having to rest and that I use my walking stick, she has written that I can walk more than 200 meters unaided, how are they allowed to lie? Something needs to be done.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.