Am I entitled to any housing benefits or council tax support, as my partner is working but I can't? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Am I entitled to any housing benefits or council tax support, as my partner is working but I can't?

tdotmelty27
tdotmelty27 Community member Posts: 39 Connected
Hi guys i am currently looking to get a property to rent with my partner (she works) earns 1200 a month
I have received universal credit and have been awarded lwcra so i am deemed unable to work or look for work i have currently gone through a pip assessment still waiting outcome im looking for a private property to rent would i be entitled to any housing benefits or council tax support or anything as my partner is working even tho i am deemed not to work?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

It will all depend on your circumstances 

Are you not living together now? And for you get any housing element now? 

If you move in together it will have to change to joint UC claim even though she is working 

You need to get some expert advice first from welfare rights 

You might also want to look at a benefits calculator so you can put all your detail in 
  • tdotmelty27
    @janer1967 i didd a calculator on a website everyone says use and it staes ill get 780 a month universal credit or something like that i am currently getting like 680 do i suppose thw housing element is that extra bit?
  • janer1967
    Sorry I dont know it should give you a breakdown 

Do you claim any housing now? Did you put rent amount in calculator? 

Tge extra may be as result of joint claim 

Sorry it's hard to say without knowing all your personal details which is why you need expert advice 
  • tdotmelty27
    @janer1967 appreciate it what experts would i have to go to?
  • janer1967
    Welfare rights 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    If you are not already getting it you cannot claim Housing Benefit because new claims are not possible. You would provide details of your tenancy to UC and your UC entitlement would then include a housing element. The amount you get will be limited to the applicable Local Housing Allowance rate for the postcode https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Search.aspx.

Council Tax Reduction is separate and is claimed from the local authority. There may be no entitlement due to your partners income.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited January 2021
    If you are already living together and have a joint claim, when you claimed UC did your partner tell UC that she looks after you (if she does) and that you have applied for PIP? If she hasn’t she should. If you are awarded Daily Living PIP she will then be able to get the carer element added to your UC claim and it should be backdated to the date she told them she was a carer.

if your claim is currently a single claim then when she is added to the claim she should say she is a carer and if DL PIP is awarded the carer element will then be included.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    @janer1967 i didd a calculator on a website everyone says use and it staes ill get 780 a month universal credit or something like that i am currently getting like 680 do i suppose thw housing element is that extra bit?
    £100 extra for housing doesn’t sound right if the claim is unchanged other than for the addition of the housing element. However if you are going from a single claim to a joint claim although the maximum amount has increased  there is obviously a deduction for your partners wages to be taken into account before arriving at the amount payable.
  • tdotmelty27
    @calcotti no we haven't moved in together looking to tho and im obviously on my single uc claim until we move in then will go for join claim however you mention carrers would she still get that as she works 30 hours a week so not sure how that works?
  • calcotti
    edited January 2021
    If you are awarded Daily Living PIP and she looks after you for 35 hours/week then she is entitled to the carer element in UC. It doesn’t matter that she works. The carer element is an extra £162.92/month.

This is different to the rules for Carer’s Allowance which she would not be able to claim.
  • janer1967
    I dont think she will get carers working full time and on the earnings you said in your original post as there is a limit to what you can earn and this would be above that 

@calcotti maybe you can advise on this as you mentioned claiming it I thought earnings of 1200 per month would be over the limit to claim carers 
  • calcotti
    edited January 2021
    janer1967 said:
    I dont think she will get carers working full time and on the earnings you said in your original post as there is a limit to what you can earn and this would be above that 

@calcotti maybe you can advise on this as you mentioned claiming it I thought earnings of 1200 per month would be over the limit to claim carers 
    The earnings limit of £128/week applies to Carer’s Allowance. There is no such rule for the carer element of UC.
  • janer1967
    @calcotti thanks for that you learn something new everyday 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.