Can I get my sister to speak during my PIP assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I get my sister to speak during my PIP assessment?

berry123
berry123 Community member Posts: 264 Pioneering
edited January 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all just wanted to know pip assessment can I get my sister to talk to them meaning another representative will it be ok do I have to inform them beforehand.  

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

You can have someone with you but you will be expected to speak on the whole . You could have phone on speaker and your sister can prompt you 

For someone to speak on your behalf you need to have an appointee bit this is only allowed if you dont have the capacity to communicate and you have to get this arranged through DWP 
  • berry123
    Thank you so much 
  • dynasty30
    dynasty30 Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    I’m sure that would be okay,on my telephone assessment she asked if I was in my own in the room,was my phone up to my ear and not on speaker phone even down to which hand I was holding the phone and the which ear. ?
  • berry123
    @dynasty30 thank you.  I'm due a assessment mid feb.  I have severe asthma tachycardia arthropathy  severe sinusitis and allergy I have sent evidence relating to my long term illness my patient summary my prescription list my hospital letter when I was ventilated in 2004.  My health has not got better it has limit me doing things for my family if I do anything physical my asthma plays up then I get tachycardia.  Just hope and pray will keep you updated.
  • berry123
    I also get carers allowance which I dont to anything physical for my father inlaw hope it wont affect my pip application 
  • dynasty30
    Try not to over think things but you need to base each day on your worst day not a good day,a valuable piece of advise that was given to me I repeatedly said the same thing over and over again because that was my life and conditions I had notes set out in front  of me but laid out so I didn’t make that obvious I was reading or moving papers around I wanted to make sure I covered everything.
    the lady I got was very nice,and happy to report I was awarded pip. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    berry123 said:
    I also get carers allowance which I dont to anything physical for my father inlaw hope it wont affect my pip application 
    Provided the care you give your father doesn't contradict the statements you have made about the difficulties you have it shouldn't be an issue.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    dynasty30 said:
    ..you need to base each day on your worst day not a good day,..
    that's not correct. PIP is based on how you are most of the time. So if you have three bad days a week and four good days the assessment would be based on the good days.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • dynasty30
    calcotti said:
    dynasty30 said:
    ..you need to base each day on your worst day not a good day,..
    that's not correct. PIP is based on how you are most of the time. So if you have three bad days a week and four good days the assessment would be based on the good days.
    Well I was told to base it on my worst day as more often that not all my days are not good.
    im only passing on what I was told.
    I didn’t think there was a correct or wrong way 
  • berry123
    @dynasty30 thank you I have bad days all the time and and top of that I'm shielding which I cant go out I only  been out 3 time after first lockdown eases in August.  So depressing 
  • berry123
    Thank you all guys you all been great 
  • dynasty30
    edited January 2021
    That’s why I said to base it on that information as like myself I have way more bad days than good days I did tell them about my good days but I suffer the next day or days after over doing things to the point it’s just not worth it.
    I hear you on that I’ve been housebound myself.
    hopefully things will go well ?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad our members have been able to give you some advice @berry123 :) 

Shielding must be very difficult. Do you have a good support network around you? It sounds like your sister is someone you can count on, has she been able to keep you company? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • calcotti
    edited January 2021
    dynasty30 said: Well I was told to base it on my worst day as more often that not all my days are not good. im only passing on what I was told.
    I didn’t think there was a correct or wrong way 

What the PIP assessment guide says https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

2.1.7 The impact of most health conditions and impairments can fluctuate over time. Taking a view of ability over a longer period of time helps to iron out fluctuations and presents a more coherent picture of disabling effects. Therefore, the descriptor choice should be based on consideration of a 12 month period. 
    2.1.8 A scoring descriptor can apply to claimants in an activity where their impairment(s) affects their ability to complete an activity, at some stage of the day, on more than 50 per cent of days in the 12 month period

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.