Hi, my name is biniend! I need some extra support. How can I refer myself for a needs assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is biniend! I need some extra support. How can I refer myself for a needs assessment?

biniend
biniend Community member Posts: 9 Listener

Comments

• biniend
    I am here first time :)

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome glad you have joined 

Have a look around and feel free to join in or ask any questions 

Maybe tell us a bit about yourself 
  • biniend
    My name is Iwona. I am suffering from Fibromyalgia, clinical depression and chronic fatigue syndrome and (GP suggestion) epilepsy. I do not go out, not because of covid but because I am unable to walk and do not have a power chair. I am a prisoner in my own bedroom over one year already. My friends bought me a manual wheelchair but I can not use it independently, I need somebody to take me out. I dream about to see London which I love so much...
  • janer1967
    Hi again 

I would suggest you refer yourself for a care needs assessment through gov website they will assess you and make recommendations for adaptions aids and care 

Could you maybe get a paid carer to take you out now and again 

I empathise I am wheelchair bound but I have a power chair for outside now and a scooter 

Have you thought of getting something 

Do you get PIP mobility as you can finance a scooter through them 
  • biniend
    thank you for your response
    I got a PIP and now I am waiting for revision because my health conditions (mobility) getting worse and I am unable to walk. I do hope this time they will help me to get powerchair.
  • biniend
    I really want a power chair to go out. Of course I do not have that money to buy one so I think I have to wait for my next PIP assessment (about next 8 - 10 weeks)
  • biniend
    can you advise me on how to refer myself to care needs assessment?
  • janer1967
    You can often find second hand ones for sale on ebay or gumtree or facebook 

Some mobility shops also have reconditioned ones 

Another possibility is to lease one and pay monthly 
  • janer1967
    Go on to the gov website and type in search care needs assessment 

That should bring up details and have the form to complete 
  • biniend
    Thank you so much! I feel very confused in this world full of application forms, online forms etc. It is very hard to find the right way without help. I am waiting for social worker since May... because of lockdown
  • janer1967
    I understand it is a mind field 

You could also contact welfare rights or citizens advice they can assist you in making sure you are getting all the support you deserve 

Also speak to your gp and of course any help we can give 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    When we applied for care for my mum we phoned the local social services adult team and they sorted everything out for her 
  • biniend
    Thank you, all of you for your kind words and help!
  • Lisatho11987777
    @biniend to get a needs assessment  you will need to speak to your local adult social services and they will be able to arrange  an occupational therapist  assessment 

Some local authoritys do their own assessment aswel  beforehand 

The problem at the moment is though due to lockdown there aren't any assessments being done 

Still phone adult social services and they will be able to advise you on what you can do 

Hope this helps 
    Others will reply 
  • biniend
    Thank you so much! :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I believe that they can still carry out assessments over the phone at least @biniend. I have been able to make social care referrals since the coronavirus pandemic began. This gov.uk publication outlines that: 
    Local authorities will not have to carry out detailed assessments of people’s care and support needs in compliance with pre-amendment Care Act requirements. However, they will still be expected to respond as soon as possible (within a timeframe that would not jeopardise an individual’s human rights) to requests for care and support, consider the needs and wishes of people needing care and their family and carers, and make an assessment of what care needs to be provided. Annex B of the guidance provides more information
    Have you been able to find the details for your local authority's social care department? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Tori_Scope when my brother phoned for my mum in the Midlands they said they weren't doing assessments due to corona virus and due to shortage of staff maybe some areas are ok then that's good 
    0898 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    biniend try vitaminds they do cognitive behaviour therapy and you can refer yourself if they are not the right thing for you they will try to get someone to look out for the right charities / NHS departments and of course the wonderful volunteers who are most suited to you hope this helps take care 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @biniend

A belated welcome to the community from me. How have you been? Did you find the information here helpful?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness