Hi, I'm looking for some advice. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm looking for some advice.

Tubz
Tubz Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
edited January 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I had a telephone tribunal today for PIP. I have Aspergers, (diagnosed late in life as an adult), OCD, hypothyroidism, Diabetes type 2 and asthma. The panel were awful! Very nit-picky and kept asking me odd questions such as what do I look like, (what I was wearing, was I tall?), what my favourite food was, (when I said a sandwich, they kept asking if I had mustard or butter on it  and whether I had fruit or yoghurt with it?!!), and whether i got lost on the way to my doctor's surgery! They also kept referring to my school and university days: They asked if I had had any support through them  and when I said no because I didn't know I had Aspergers, and it wasn't known then, they disagreed with me and said that "support would always have been available ". It was not! They even asked if I used a sat nav, and when I said I shared it, (and the car) with my mother, they started asking where she worked, and whether she worked at one place or many!! They asked what kind of meals my mother cooks and whether she cooks a roast?! (I live with her and she does the cooking due to my fatigue etc).I was asked why I hadn't sought help for my OCD, (there's a pandemic happening?..., and I haven't been offered any help for years.) They went on about my compulsive shopping (which happened over 20 years ago!, when I was working and before I even claimed anything!)
With regards to the DWP appeal before the tribunal, they completely missed off my OCD in the list of medical issues at the beginning of their report. Indeed, the only time they ever mentioned it, was as a throwaway remark towards the end saying that I was anxious, but didn't show any signs of OCD??!!
The panel today went on and on on about the fact that I apparently had said that I could travel on my own and that I go out more than a few times a week. I never said anything of the sort! They were trying to twist what I had written on my appeal sheet which was that I can travel to my doctors on my own, by car, (no other way of getting there!) If my mother was at work, which they seem to think implied that go out a lot, despite me writing that I only go out for appointments!!
I was told that they would post the decision out by 1st class post today. 
Apologies for the really long post, but I am so anxious, I am feeling ill... 
Tagged:

Comments

• Tubz
    edited January 2021
    I had a telephone tribunal today for PIP. I have Aspergers, (diagnosed late in life as an adult), OCD, hypothyroidism, Diabetes type 2 and asthma. The panel were awful! Very nit-picky and kept asking me odd questions such as what do I look like, (what I was wearing, was I tall?), what my favourite food was, (when I said a sandwich, they kept asking if I had mustard or butter on it  and whether I had fruit or yoghurt with it?!!), and whether i got lost on the way to my doctor's surgery! They also kept referring to my school and university days: They asked if I had had any support through them  and when I said no because I didn't know I had Aspergers, and it wasn't known then, they disagreed with me and said that "support would always have been available ". It was not! They even asked if I used a sat nav, and when I said I shared it, (and the car) with my mother, they started asking where she worked, and whether she worked at one place or many!! They asked what kind of meals my mother cooks and whether she cooks a roast?! (I live with her and she does the cooking due to my fatigue etc).I was asked why I hadn't sought help for my OCD, (there's a pandemic happening?..., and I haven't been offered any help for years.) They went on about my compulsive shopping (which happened over 20 years ago!, when I was working and before I even claimed anything!)
    With regards to the DWP appeal before the tribunal, they completely missed off my OCD in the list of medical issues at the beginning of their report. Indeed, the only time they ever mentioned it, was as a throwaway remark towards the end saying that I was anxious, but didn't show any signs of OCD??!!
    The panel today went on and on on about the fact that I apparently had said that I could travel on my own and that I go out more than a few times a week. I never said anything of the sort! They were trying to twist what I had written on my appeal sheet which was that I can travel to my doctors on my own, by car, (no other way of getting there!) If my mother was at work, which they seem to think implied that go out a lot, despite me writing that I only go out for appointments!!
    I was told that they would post the decision out by 1st class post today. 
    Apologies for the really long post, but I am so anxious, I am feeling ill... 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I know from painful experience the DWP couldn't organise a you know what in a Brewery at the best of times and they are run by incompetent jobsworths who could no more run an Organisation than a Country Pub.

I wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's till October 1999 at the age of 23 and half, so I spent more than half my life so far with no money or anything apart from a brief period of about 18 months on Jobseekers from early 1998 to October 1999.

And then in December 2015 I went for the dreaded ATOS meeting in Town, and at the behest of my Parents I was declared unfit to work (even though I've spent most of the last 20 odd years doing voluntary work) and put on ESA, naturally we came out of the meeting and I went bananas right in the middle of Town!

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tubz good evening and welcome to scope it's good to meet you. As for the tribunal they certainly seem to have put you  through the wringer, the only advice I can offer at this time is to wait and see what their decision is, it might take you by surprise, but do let us know.

@MrAllen1976 I know you don't like my comments so i will keep it brief, there is no way you would be declared unfit for work "at the behest" of your parents, it just doesn't work that way nor is it ever that simple and i'm concerned it might infer to others that it is ever that easy, you would also never be "put on sea" after an assessment by ATOS it is not their decision to make. Hope that clears that one up.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there sorry you feel like this 

Some if those questions will have been relevant it is all to find out how you are affected 

The sandwich ones for example would help them know if you are able to spread butter or mustard 

What your mum cooks will be about if you are getting the right nutrition 

The shopping habits they only know what you had told them either in your form or at assessment so if you thought it relevant to your claim they will too 

It does often feel like an interrogation and nit picky but they are trying to get the info they need 

All you can do is wait for the decision and fingers crossed it will be a successful outcome for you 
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    @Tubz I agree with what @janer1967 has said. 

Although the questions seem random and unrelated to anything, if you can step back you can see the reason for them.  For example, them asking about your compulsive spending may relate to you needing help/support to manage your money. 

Also, sometimes when we're anxious/keyed-up we can think people are being rude when they are not really rude - it's just *us* being keyed-up.

Hopefully, you'll receive the outcome you want and, in the meantime, just try as best you can to relax.  :) 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tubz - & may I add my welcome to this community. :) I'm sorry you've had what you feel a dreadful time of it with your tribunal, however, they ask questions in order to find out more about how your disabilities impact on your daily living, & about going out. At least you know you'll hear soon, but can understand you feel anxious. Please don't ever apologise for the length of a post, but as woodbine has asked, please do kindly let us know the outcome of the tribunal's decision. I've got everything gently crossed. :)
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tubz so happy for you well done 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations @Tubz ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for the great update @Tubz - congratulations. :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Awesome news, well done @Tubz :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    Brilliant news!
  • Tubz
    Thank you everyone! ? 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Awesome @Tubz :) Thanks for updating us. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news is always welcome in these difficult times, well done you !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.