If I move into a new house within the same LA with one other person who works, can I still get SDP? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If I move into a new house within the same LA with one other person who works, can I still get SDP?

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @lisathomas50 The distinction between Welsh and English benefits legislation can be very confusing, I agree. 

Amending your signature to highlight that your comments relate to England (unless otherwise stated) is a helpful move @calcotti - Thank you for your benefits assistance  :)

@kami24 Please keep us updated with how you get on.  Good luck!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    @calcotti  thank you  I think your  brilliant  I wasn't saying you were wrong I think thst would be helpful if people said as I often have to ask does this cover wales 

I wasn't disrespecting you and I am sorry if you thought I was i value what I have seen of your comments on this forum  
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Cher_Scope thank you   its hard to explain sometimes  and I very much like @colcotti and they are very good on their advice  
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    I am not aware of any differences between England, Wales and Scotland in respect of Housing Benefit. To the best of my knowledge the Housing Benefit Regulations 2006 are still the relevant regulations for all parts of Great Britain. If so would be incorrect for a local authority to state that a change of address within the same local authority requires a new Housing Benefit application. Of course it is not unknown for local authorities to apply the law incorrectly.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    Thank you all. Im not offended Lisa no worries 
  • Lisatho11987777
    @kami24 thank you its hard when there are different rules for England  and Wales  more so now in the pandemic  
  • calcotti
    @kami24 thank you its hard when there are different rules for England  and Wales  more so now in the pandemic  
    As already noted I don’t think there are any differences between England and Wales in respect of Housing Benefit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
     We will have to agree to disagree 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    @lisathomas50 - as mentioned, the Housing Benefit Regulations 2006. As you will see the geographical extent includes England, Wales & Scotland (E+W+S). Please see: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/213/regulation/1?view=extent
  • Lisatho11987777
    @chiarieds I dont realy want yo comment on it anymore becsuse it does happen happen here the piece of informant I posted further up the thread is from the Welsh council we changed last April 
  • calcotti
    edited January 2021
    @chiarieds I dont realy want yo comment on it anymore becsuse it does happen happen here the piece of informant I posted further up the thread is from the Welsh council we changed last April 
    As noted local authorities sometimes apply the law incorrectly. Here is the official guidance on how to apply Housing Benefit law
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/236955/hbgm-a6-deciding-and-paying-benefit.pdf
    Change of address
    6.424 If the change of address is
    • to another LA’s area, you may end the benefit award
    • within the LA’s area it may be treated as a change of circumstances as long as you are satisfied you have enough evidence to support the change, if so supersede the decision, see C6 Reconsidering, revising and superseding decisions later in this manual

• Lisatho11987777
  • Lisatho11987777
    That is off the Welsh government website 
  • calcotti
    edited January 2021
    It says you can’t make a new claim. No one is disputing that.
    The point is that a change of address within the same local authority does not require a new claim, the existing claim is simply revised.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lisathomas50 This is a friendly reminder to not deviate threads from the OP's question.  I've checked the information and links kindly provided by @chiarieds and @calcotti and they evidence that housing benefit claims should continue where moves remain within the same local authority. 

To avoid conflict, please remember the online community guidelines and although I appreciate it is with the best of intent you commented, bear in mind double checking information you provide is correct and appropriate :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    In Scotland , it depends in what council area  you are in as different councils give different benefits . There are a few different rules in Scottish councils...we now cannot buy council houses . The Scottish government are in the process of buying back council houses that were sold off ...plus we do not pay bedroom tax up here  or pay for prescriptions . We are also helped to the tune of £140  to help with our winter Bill's.  All the " wee"  odds and ends soon add up  ?????????
  • calcotti
    edited January 2021
    Seanchai said:
    In Scotland , it depends in what council area  you are in as different councils give different benefits . 
    Not in respect of Housing Benefit. As noted in previous posts Housing Benefit in the three countries of Great Britain comes under one set of regulations.
  • kami24
    Hi so if I move to a room like a flatshare and the landlord rents the room out and doesn't live there and only one other renter lives there who doesn't own it shares it with me will I still be entitled to my sdp? 
  • kami24
    Shares the flat *not the room 
  • calcotti
    edited February 2021
    As previously advised, if renting a room in a shared house you would still be entitled to SDP if you meeting the qualifying conditions. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.