CHEAP ENERGY SUPPLIERS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CHEAP ENERGY SUPPLIERS

Options
charlie79
charlie79 Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
Good Afternoon everyone. My energy supplier has ceased trading (Green Energy Network). We had no notice only watching Martin Lewis show Monday did I find out.
Ofgem has found a new supplier to move clients to for their energy (EDF). 
My previous experience with EDF was expensive and not good with customer skills or care. 
I would like advice from scope members on a good supplier and cost effective for someone housebound.

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Octopus energy are good.  It will depend on your location and circumstances though, so best to check a couple of comparison sites.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We only buy electric as we are off grid for gas and recently changed for SSE to Eon, we were paying 21p per day standing charge plus 21p per unit, now we are paying 14.5p per day and 14.9p per unit, but as above the best advice is shop around.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @woodbine,@ charlie79, I was with a 3year deal with Isupply  for Gas, paying 3.404 per KWH and 12.294p standing charge per day. I was moved to,EDF who kept the same deal till end of the 3 year term. As woodbine say shop around surprisingly what deals are about.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    Avoid British Gas, back when the Housing used to pay all their tenants' Utility bills like Gas, Lecky and the phone bill, they'd often go months and not pay up, and then one day I got a letter off BG saying they were going to force their way into my property and take goods to the value of what was owed! Naturally Dad went barmy and threatened to report them to the BBC and the local paper.

A few years ago they put all the tenants on E-On and I now pay my own bills by direct debit, much cheaper.

• charlie79
    Options
    Thankyou I was going to avoid British gas anyway. Not a big fan myself from past experience years ago. Think my faith has been put in Octopus. I think I have lost WHD for this year as Green Energy Network haven't applied it to account.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Avoid British Gas, back when the Housing used to pay all their tenants' Utility bills like Gas, Lecky and the phone bill, they'd often go months and not pay up, and then one day I got a letter off BG saying they were going to force their way into my property and take goods to the value of what was owed! Naturally Dad went barmy and threatened to report them to the BBC and the local paper.

A few years ago they put all the tenants on E-On and I now pay my own bills by direct debit, much cheaper.

I never realised the housing used to do that? 
  • charlie79
    Options
    Min e wasnt with housing. Im now 41 yrs old. My metre was dodgy and received an unrealistic bill from them in my 20s. They wouldn't investigate and took a lot of hard work. It put me off British Gas for rest of my life.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    oh for the days when you brought your gas from the gas co. and your leech from the leech co.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• charlie79
    Options
    I definitely think Octopus is the  choice i feel most comfortable with to provide my energy.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    MarkN88 said:

I never realised the housing used to do that? 
    Yeah they used to because a lot of the clients are learning disabled and couldn't deal with the faff of paying their own bills.. Then circa 2010 they stopped all that.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have always used  swaleck  now called SSE  its always been good for me I have been with them for years 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have never heard of octopus  until now ? 

Brightness