I'm furloughed, and was just declared unfit for work. Do I need a sick note? How long for? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm furloughed, and was just declared unfit for work. Do I need a sick note? How long for?

hulahoop
hulahoop Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited February 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi. I work but currently furloughed and suffer from depression/anxiety that I usually manage. I've recently got worse and it looks as though I could have bpd, I'm waiting for a therapist appointment and am on sertraline 150mg and just been given diazepam.
I feel my mh will keep getting worse and would like to leave work as the job is very stressful. I've just claimed for UC (was on tax credits, single mum) and put down I was unfit for work. Now I don't know what to do.
My *uc person?* rang me and said I'd need a sick note but I'm still employed so do I still need one and do I give it to my employer too? How long should the sick note be for? I'm so confused. Basically I would like to be out of work for however long it takes to be diagnosed and on a proper course of treatment. But I don't know if I can do this or even if I'm capable of working again. Can someone please help?

Comments

• hulahoop
    Just to clarify. I don't want to hand my notice in if I'm going to be worse off and having to go to job interviews. I also don't want to stay in my current job and claim sickness as this puts pressure on the rest of my team. I've never claimed benefits before so I really don't know what to do.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

If you say you are unfit for work you need a fit note both for UC and work 

This may mean for work you become sick rather than furlough 

It is up to your gp how long the fit note is for submitting fit note for UC will prompt a work capability assessment your coach should refer you after being signed off for more than 28 days 

As for work dont just resign if you are long term sick they should have a process to follow regarding medical dismissal but this doesn't normally start until Ssp is coming to an end 

You may miss out on potential compensation if your company pay this 

First thing he yo your gp and get fit note 
  • hulahoop
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Definitely don’t resign from work. If you provide a Fit Note your employer will have to pay you at least SSP if you have been earning more than £120/week. SSP will not be deducted in full from your UC claim so is definitely worth having. Your employer could choose to continue to pay you furlough pay but that will be at their discretion.

if you get a Fit Note your employer will want it, make sure you keep a copy to produce to UC if requested later. For the time being you need to report a change in your health through the AuC journal where you can also enter details of the Fit Note. You can self certify for the first 7 days of your UC claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • hulahoop

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.