Assistance Dog (PIP Mobility) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assistance Dog (PIP Mobility)

Clair19
Clair19 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all, 
I am looking for some advice around the mobility component of PIP, specially around the need of an assistance dog to follow a journey.  I have looked up the PIP guidance and it defines an assistance dog as ‘dogs trained to help people with “sensory impairments”’. I have an assistance dog for support around my Mental Health. I am unable to leave the house or follow the route of a familiar/unfamiliar journey without my assistance dog. What worries me is their definition of “sensory impairment”, surely this doesnt just refer to visual/hearing impaired? Does anyone have experience of this please that can help with advice. Many thanks 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Clair19 :) I trust that the link Mike posted has been useful? Please do let us know if you have any further questions. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Clair19
    Clair19 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I’m still struggling with this.. it’s their terminology of ‘sensory impairment’ sensory can also be cognitive which can include problems with attention, memory recall, planning etc all of which inhibit my ability to follow a journey and the need for an assistance dog. Have I interpret this correctly? I’m terrified of saying the wrong thing and having to go through MR the appeal. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    I suspect your dog is not covered by the term ‘assistance dog’ but have no experience to confirm this one way or the other.
    I am not familiar with the idea of mental health support dogs but I think what you need to do is describe the difficulties you have without the dog and then explain how the dog helps you. Explain any train No the dog has needed in order to provide the required support. Would/can a person provide the same level of support?

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    edited February 2021
    Not all 'assistance dogs' are sensory related Mike. There are dogs trained nowadays to alert their owners that they are about to have a seizure and some are trained to fetch and carry for their disabled owners.

I have worked with the latter and have friends who work with the former. Its amazing what some of these dogs are capable of.

I'm not sure how the seizure dogs are classed under PIP but the owner has to rely on them when out pretty much how someone who has a sight impairment relies on the more traditional assistance dogs.

(editied to expand on post)
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    I don’t read it as patronising. Brett passing on information which may not be known to all. I am certainly not familiar with this type of support dog. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • BrettW
    BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
    edited February 2021
    Oh here we go again. My post was just advising about the fact that not all assistance dogs are sensory. Like my post said I don't know how they relate to PIP.

<Moderator removed - please refrain from making personal attacks on other members.  Thank you - Cher>

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited February 2021
    It looks like there has been a bit of miscommunication here. I know we repeat it often, but while I don't think anyone initially intended to be rude, tone can be hard to read through an online forum and is often subjective. Please keep it civil and constructive.

@clair19, I'm going to leave this discussion thread closed as I feel your query regarding assistance dogs and planning a journey has been answered but if you do have any further questions, please don't hesitate to start a new one.
    Community Manager
    Scope
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.