Private Assessment - Autism in a teenager — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Private Assessment - Autism in a teenager

Options
PippaT1966
PippaT1966 Community member Posts: 40 Connected
edited February 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi,
I'm trying to get an autism assessment for my teenager. The Ed Psych believes there is a strong indication of autism, but it needs to go via community paeds or the CAHMS for a formal diagnosis, which could take a year. Can anyone recommend a centre which offers private assessment services? We're desperate as she hasn't been attending school due to sensory issues, and will be transitioning to college before we can get a full NHS diagnosis.
Thank you.
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @PippaT1966 :) I hope you're well. Long waiting times can certainly be a pain, so I'm sorry that this is a concern for you.

I'm not able to recommend a specific centre, but the National Autistic Society (NAS) have a directory search tool which I believe covers places that offer private assessments.

NAS do point out, and I think it's worth highlighting, that: 
    Private diagnosis is an option, if you can pay for one, and can reduce the waiting time. The costs of private assessments can vary, so it’s a good idea to phone several services to ask about costs, what this pays for and whether any follow-up service is offered. 

Some local authorities may not accept the results of private diagnoses. They might insist upon an NHS diagnosis before they will provide services to you and your child. For this reason, we suggest that you stay on the waiting list for an NHS assessment even if you also decide to go privately.  
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • PippaT1966
    PippaT1966 Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    Options
    Thanks so much - I missed this because I had my notifications off. I'll follow up now!

Brightness