What is expected on the LCW work health programme? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is expected on the LCW work health programme?

mumelaine63
mumelaine63 Community member Posts: 35 Listener
edited February 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
My husband had call from universal credit yesterday he has been classed as LCW , they want him to go on work health programme but he is 63 years old so cannot work a computer is shielding as clinically extremely vulnerable as his health is getting worse so much so he needs his inhaler when he climbs upstairs to go to the toilet, does anyone know what he will be expected to do on this programme? Thanks in advance 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Sorry I dont know what these involve but if he is shielding then I would explain this to his work coach as if he was working he wouldn't be going to work anyway 
  • mumelaine63
    Hi his work coach was told this yesterday and since he had his medical to determine his LCW his health has got worse as well as now being diagnosed with psoriasis arthritis which means both his hands swell and he takes painkillers, was asked to add this to his journal (was never told to add anything about his health before,we knew nothing about this) when I went to add it they just had lung issues on it yet they know he has AF as well so I have added this 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    If he is lcw then if he reports new conditions and provides fit notes stating these it will trigger a new WCA after being off for more than 28 days 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    The Work and Health programme is not a “course” so therefore he doesn’t need to have fantastic IT skills. 

It’s a programme of tailored support which I believe you participate in for 15 months. 

Therefore unless he can persuade his work coach otherwise I think he will be mandated to complete. 

Limited capability for work is fine but I believe he will be required to participate in activities that are related to getting him ready for work. 

It doesn’t matter if he is shielding as this is been done over the telephone for now anyway. 

If this is going to still be problematic though I would advise him to seek further advice from his work coach. 
  • mumelaine63
    Thanks was told no need to put in anymore fit notes so will look into this , I honestly think with his health and age it’s stupid to be chasing him up he hits retirement age in 3 years and apart from being made redundant in January 2019 worked all his life and now being on universal credit and me being 6 years younger will have to wait until I’m retirement age before he can claim retirement ?
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Its just a case of having to jump through the hoops really. 

Would it not be worth challenging the LCW decision? 
  • mumelaine63
    maybe with his health getting worse maybe have to start sending fit notes in and see how we go from there he was supposed to go to a centre to help with exercise for his breathing (copd) but obviously because of Covid that didn’t happen so it’s now much worse 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    .. me being 6 years younger will have to wait until I’m retirement age before he can claim retirement ?
    He will get his State Retirement pension when he reaches pension age. Having a younger partner does not change this.
    It is true however that the law has changed so that if you need means tested benefits as a 'mixed age' couple you will have to continue to claim Universal Credit because he cannot claim Pension Credit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mumelaine63
    Ok was told if we are still on uc he would not get it
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Ok was told if we are still on uc he would not get it
    He will get his State Pension but your UC entitlement will go down because the State Pension will be deducted in full from the UC. This means that your overall income will not change if there is ongoing UC entitlement.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • mumelaine63

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.