What's the difference between a PIP award from DWP vs. one from tribunal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's the difference between a PIP award from DWP vs. one from tribunal?

Options
Gobbygirl66
Gobbygirl66 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
edited February 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all,my question is what is the difference between an award for pip from dwp and one given by tribunal,mine was awarded by tribunal for 3years 2017-2020 but was given 6 months extension until 28th Feb 2021.Completed form back to them 11th Jan I have telephoned them and was advised to contact assessment people they said no date for telephone assessment she said I'll log your call and put phone down, has anyone had this happen or know what I should do now.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    At this point no real difference, a tribunal award will mean being asked to renew 14 weeks before end date a DWP award usually 6 months before, if your award was via tribunal then the DWP can't extend it.
    If you returned your renewal on 11th Jan it probably didn't get onto DWP system till around the 20th, as for when you can expect an assessment that depends how busy they are.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:
    if your award was via tribunal then the DWP can't extend it.
    There’s been a lot of discussion on that point on Rightsnet over the years and there are differences of opinion about DWP powers in this respect. It has also been suggested that there is no legal basis for DWP to issue the extension they are currently doing - but nobody is going to complain. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thats very true but I have always assumed that if the award is made by a tribunal it's not for the DWP to lengthen or for that matter shorten an award.

And yes the extensions being issued make little sense especially when we see people given extensions only to be refered for renewals in almost the next breath, but time will tell as they say.

Btw calcotti Its been re-miss of me not to welcome you to scope especially when I have seen the sterling work you have done "in another place" on benefits.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    Options
    Have just seen this parliamentary response earlier this month which confirms that a DWP have been applying extensions to awards made at tribunal.
    https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2021-01-06/134179
    “The Department has been automatically extending awards of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for decisions which have an award review scheduled, including decisions made following a First Tier Tribunal hearing. This action has been taken in order to provide continuity of payments for claimants whose award review is delayed as a result of Covid-19.”
    Again, whether or not the law supports such action I don’t know.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Gobbygirl66
    Gobbygirl66 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    Options
    Thanks for that information Calcotti do you think that would apply to my pip claim ?. Also does anyone know if you can reuse medical evidence used in  pip appeal tribunal on my pip 2 form that I have just returned.
  • calcotti
    Options
    It’s not clear how DWP are selecting claims to extend, anecdotally it seems hot and miss. The only way to know about your own claim is to ask.
    You can use any evidence that you consider relevant.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.