Esa, sdp and taking in a lodger — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa, sdp and taking in a lodger

sunnydays
sunnydays Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
Hi, I wonder if anyone could please answer this question. I am in receipt in esa and receive the sdp premium and am thinking of taking a lodger in. Would this affect the esa premium? Many Thanks

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    If this is a commercial arrangement and the lodger is not a relative this would not affect the SDP.

You would lose your single person discount for Council Tax if you currently get it unless the lodger falls into a category of occupant that falls to be disregarded (such as students). This may not matter if your bill is covered for you by CTR but if you do have to pay a percentage of the bill that amount would increase.

Moreover the income from the lodger will be taken into account and deducted from your ESA less a disregard of £20/week.

You might find it helpful to read this
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-a-home/subletting-and-lodging/lodging/taking-in-a-lodger-what-you-need-to-think-about-first/
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sunnydays
    Hi, Thank you for your help and that is totally the case for me. Can I jusk ask would I have to draw up an agreement for housing and council tax department. Thank you again. 
  • calcotti
    If you are going to have a lodger it would be prudent to have an agreement anyway.
    For benefits purposes it will make things much simpler to prove the arrangement with an agreement.
    i expect there are various templates available that you can find with an online search.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sunnydays
    Hi, Thank you for the information, very helpful. 
  • calcotti
    If you take in a lodger you will of course need to inform ESA as well as the council.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.