ESA, Cares, Pip and circumstance change — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA, Cares, Pip and circumstance change

Options
D2323
D2323 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Hello, 
           I know its a long title but it's a complicated question!!!!!

We are a couple on ESA (income based), He is main claimant , She claims carers allowance.

He gets Pip, Full daily, lower mobility. She has now developed health problems and wishes to now claim Pip.

We also have a child about to turn 18 (circumstances change?). Do we have to inform DWP?? 

Should she give caring responsibility to 18 Yr old so a pip claim can be made?

Thank you in advance, hope its clear what I am trying to ask. 

Thank you. D 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi, you she has developed health problems and wishes to claim PIP does she have care and/or mobility issues and for how long? Will the child be leaving non advanced education or leaving home? are any benefits claimed for the 18 year old?
    It's perfectly possible for both partners to claim PIP .
    Sorry to answer a question with questions.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Options
    She can claim PIP while receiving CA if she is still able to provide 35 hours of care. This obviously depends on the nature of her health issues and the type of care required. If she is no longer able to provide care due to her own problems then she should give up the CA anyway.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • D2323
    Options
    @woodbine, thank you for your help.
    Its looking like Fibromyalgia Tbh, she was supposed to go and see Rhumatoligist last year but because of "covid19" it never materialised (we are still waiting). So her physical and mental health have deteriorated.
    I have to stress that she is still performing her caring duties, but it can be hard on her. 
    The child won't be leaving home just yet. We think they intend to stay in education but that's not 100%.
    Child benefits as they are not 18 yet. But they may want to collect job seeker's (if college does not work out).
    So could the child "technically" be a young carer, if no college?

Thank you for your time and help. D
  • D2323
    Options
    @calcotti thanks for the reply. As I said in OP she is still very much "caring" but it can be  hard on her at times with fatigue etc.
    If it becomes too much for her then she will definitely give up CA. 
    Should we inform DWP of child turning 18?? Before their birthday??

Thank you for your time and help. D 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I don't see that daughter makes any difference to the DWP benefits you have mentioned.
    Are you still getting Child Benefit or Child Tax Credits for child because they are in education?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.