Severe disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium

Options
Cassie19
Cassie19 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi my dad 76 and got attendance allowance so his council tax bill came and says severe disability premium 66.95 then he applied for savings pension which on that form was the same and says 66.95 does he get this money or is it what they take in account cause he’s not getting any66.95 confusing not letters from dwp on severe disability just thought I ask on here before I phone the offices to explain thanks 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The Severe Disability Premium SDP) is an additional premium which increases benefit entitlement. It is not a separate benefit. It can be included if somebody gets a disability benefit such as AA, lives alone and nobody claims Carer’s Allowance )or the carer element of Universal Credit) for looking after him.

You mention savings pension. Do you mean Pension Credit? This could include include an SDP. Again the SDP would increase the maximum entitlement. However the amount he actually receives will depend on others things. For every means tested benefit first a maximum amount is calculated and then deductions are made to take account of other income.

There can’t be a premium on the Council Tax bill so you must have misunderstood what you are looking at. If you are looking at a document abut Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction the calculation could include an SDP but in this case even if there are no deductions the maximum amount of HB cannot be higher then the eligible rent and the CTR cannot be more than the eligible Council Tax liability.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cassie19
    Cassie19 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    Hi yes is saving pension credit and yes at bottom of council bill it’s says severe disability 66.95 just confused so he doesn’t get 66.95 in money just for means tested on his council tax bill and pension credit thanks 

Brightness