Hi, im Shnek64! Why haven't I been furloughed? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, im Shnek64! Why haven't I been furloughed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Bonnie1961
    Bonnie1961 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    I’m confused because they have always paid me furlough. I have been shielding on and off for a year, only now they decide to give me ssp ?‍♀️
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I believe you can be furloughed if you're shielding @Bonnie1961 @lisathomas50

ACAS have said that: 
    If someone who needs to shield cannot work from home, the employer should talk to the person about:
    • taking up an alternative role that's suitable and safe to do from home
    • not returning to work until it's safe to do so
    If they cannot work, the employer may be able to put the person on furlough (temporary leave).

Otherwise, they may be entitled to one of the following:
    This additional information from the CIPD is from the 6th January:
    Employers must allow Clinically Extremely Vulnerable (CEV) employees to continue to work from home where possible, in keeping with the latest government advice.

Even when restrictions are eased employees may refuse to come into work if they reasonably believe there is a serious and imminent danger or the workplace is not COVID-secure. If employers have carried out risk assessments and made the workplace as COVID-secure as possible, then anyone who still refuses to return to work may be unreasonable. In this situation, there are a variety of options to consider, including unpaid leave or furlough.

Previously, those who were shielding (but otherwise able to work) could get SSP if employers chose not to furlough them and home working was not possible. If people are well and can continue to work remotely, they should be paid as normal and they are not entitled to SSP. If a national or regional lockdown occurs (such as in Tier 4), it seems that government help is available under the furlough scheme.

Employers can potentially furlough staff until the end of April 2021. Employers can also claim SSP for CEV staff who are formally shielding. SSP will also be available for the people who:
    • have coronavirus symptoms
    • live with someone with coronavirus symptoms
    • have been notified that they should self-isolate under the NHS test and trace system. This covers people who are not unwell but have been told to self-isolate because they have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
    In terms of it costing the companies money to put employees on furlough, it seems that this was the case in September and October 2020, but not since the 'third phase' of the furlough scheme, which started in November 2020. The CIPD have outlined the timeline of the furlough scheme:
    June 2020

From 10 June the furlough scheme is effectively closed for employees who had not been previously furloughed. Until June 30 employers could claim for 80% of furloughed employees current salary, up to £2,500 but the employee must not work for the employer. Employer National Insurance Contributions and certain pension contributions could be claimed too. Employers were not required to contribute anything towards furloughed employees’ salaries for June.

July 2020

The new flexible scheme applied only for previously furloughed employees. These people could return to work part time, but employers can still claim the grant for normal hours not worked. Any amount of working time and any shift pattern can be agreed with the previously furloughed staff. Until 31 July employers could still claim for 80% of the furloughed employees' current salary, up to £2,500 as well as employer National Insurance Contributions and pension contributions. Employers must pay employees for the hours they work.

August 2020

From 1 August, employers had to pay employee's National Insurance Contributions and pension contributions, and can no longer claim a grant for these. Until 31 August the government paid 80% of furloughed employees wages up to a cap of £2,500 for hours not worked. Employers had to pay employees for the hours worked. Employers funding of employers’ NICs and pension contributions applied to both the hours not worked and hours worked if any.

September 2020

From 1 to 30 September the government paid 70% of furloughed employees wages up to a cap of £2,187.50 for hours not worked. Employers paid 10% of wages to make up 80% total up to a cap of £2,500 plus employers’ total NICs and pension contributions.

October 2020

From 1 October until the end of the scheme on 31 October the government will pay 60% of wages up to a cap of £1,875 for the hours the employee does not work. Employers will pay 20% of wages to make up the 80% total up to a cap of £2,500 plus employers’ total NICs and pension contributions.

November 2020 to April 2021

Under the latest extension to furlough, the government pay 80% of furloughed employees wages up to a cap of £2,500 for hours not worked. Any employees who were employed on 30 October 2020 will be eligible as long as the employer made a PAYE RTI submission for them between the 20 March 2020 and 30 October 2020, unless they re-employed the employee after 23 September 2020. Employees on the payroll on 23 September 2020 who have since been made redundant can be re-employed and put onto the furlough scheme. Revised furlough agreements must have been in place by the end of Friday 13 November 2020. The relevant percentage will be reviewed in January 2021. Employers pay employees for any hours worked. Employers funding of employers’ NICs and pension contributions applies to both the hours not worked and hours worked if any.

Sorry this is a lot of information, but I hope that it makes sense? 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Shnek64
    Shnek64 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Bottom line Lisa, you can be furloughed while shielding ( fact ). It is at the Companys discretion. That is why my Company have decided to extend my 6 months full pay as they have decided to not furlough.
  • Bonnie1961
    Options
    Thank you Tori for taking the time on this subject.
     I’m guessing we don’t have any say in the matter. 
    We the shielders who want to work but can’t!!   are being treated unfairly x
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    May be as you said its the company a few people in wales that are shielding  are getting sick pay  instead of getting furlough  its been on the news a few times 

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @Tori_Scope does that cover wales aswel because its been on the news alot thst some people haven't had furlough  and either had sick pay or claimed universal credit 

Its just a query  not anything else I just needed to clarify 
  • Bonnie1961
    Options
    I’m in Surrey and I think they are totally out of order. 
    I’ve done early starts and late finishes without payment to help with staff absences.
    After this I will be working my contracted hours only. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @Bonnie1961 its  confusing I think with all different things going on  because of the pandemic nothings normal anymore 
  • Bonnie1961
    Options
    Agree with you totally!! 
    I’m old school and I believe in looking after people. Then you get commitment 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    My step dad is shielding for the second time and receiving furlough. 
  • Bonnie1961
    Options
    I’ve always been put on furlough, but not this time.
    They paid me ssp which isn’t enough to live on !! 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @Bonnie1961 my daughter didn't get furlough this time either 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @chiarieds thank you  mainly put you on sick pay in wales rather than furlough I know wales were struggling to get the funding at one point becsuse we were locking down more than England 

England and Wales have different rules and it complicates things the small company's are suffering in wales  where they haven't been furloughed they either had sick pay or universal credit 
  • Shnek64
    Shnek64 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Hi again, hope everyones safe and well. Receiving 1st dose of vaccine tomorrow night. Does anyone know if this means I can return to work from shielding ?
  • Bonnie1961
    Options
    Hello, no you can’t go back to work until the government tells you it’s safe. You should of had a letter stating how long you have to shield for.  I’m shielding and at the moment it’s until 21st February. However this could be increased but definitely not reduced.?
  • Bonnie1961
    Options
    Forgot to say I’ve had my first vaccine as well stay safe 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Technically, I think its guidance, not law. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @Bonnie1961in wales our shielding is up until 31st March 2021 got my letter the other day spent most of my time in the house over the last year 

Brightness