COVID-19: Disabled people 'cut off from vital support' during pandemic, warns charity (Scope) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

COVID-19: Disabled people 'cut off from vital support' during pandemic, warns charity (Scope)

Options
leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
just relaying a news item on sky today based on research by our Scope!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's a disgrace, more effort should have been and should be made by central and local govt. to protect services to disabled and disadvantaged people. Surely if they can give business rate relief to all retailers LARGE and small, and they can furlough millions of people in non existing jobs, it's not beyond them.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this @leeCal

Unfortunately it makes for very sobering reading.  Scope have been tirelessly campaigning for disabled people to have more priority and attention throughout the pandemic.  While most recently, we have called for all disabled people to have an emergency support package to help them with the additional costs faced.  To add your support, visit this campaign page and enter your details.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Cher_Scope I am a scope campaigner  I shared it to twitter and on my advocacy pages I also got some members of my village involved 
  • Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    i just think that this brings into clear focus that the wider community and certainly government are not interested in the welfare of disabled people and we are a really low priority, whilst I commend everyone at Scope and other charities for their lobbying efforts I cant see any assistance being forthcoming at this late stage in the pandemic, furthermore, when austerity kicks in to pay for all of this I wouldn't be at all suprise to see disability benefits and supports services targeted for cutbacks and/or freezing
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Garza said:
    i just think that this brings into clear focus that the wider community and certainly government are not interested in the welfare of disabled people and we are a really low priority, whilst I commend everyone at Scope and other charities for their lobbying efforts I cant see any assistance being forthcoming at this late stage in the pandemic, furthermore, when austerity kicks in to pay for all of this I wouldn't be at all suprise to see disability benefits and supports services targeted for cutbacks and/or freezing
    It certainly does come across a lot of the time as though disabled peopple are way down the list of priorities. And it shouldn't be that way at all. 

I'm sure, in fact I'm certain, that Scope will keep campaigning and trying to break down the barriers that exist, of course in collaboration with our marvellous supporters.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I have to disagree @Garza I doubt that any amount of austerity will even scratch the surface of the debt due to covid, plus you have those tory mp's sitting on labour's red wall, that won't stand for it this time round. But as ever time will tell, I'm waiting for the budget on 3rd March to see what comes next. That and negative interest rates in the autumn already flagged up by the B of E
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    @woodbine as you say we will have to wait and see, I dont really get involved in politics so can't really comment on the tory/labour situation but i imagine whoever was in charge would have to start paying  some of the debt back sooner or later 

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No disrespect to England  but they are more interested in makeing money and not spending it  their main importance is the economy  but you need people to  do that if they aren't fit for work or  corona virus tskeing lives no support for other things because the government don't put support in then there will be no economy  only my opinion ? 

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.