Has anyone done a Home Share for their child? Are there any charities that could help? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone done a Home Share for their child? Are there any charities that could help?

libbyt
libbyt Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
Hi everyone
We are after help and advice please. Along with some other parents, we  would like our son to be able to live with his friends(he's 25) with support, he's a wheelchair user and needs 24 hour care. Has anyone done this and could advise or point us in the right direction for info please? Are there any other charities that can help? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,612 Disability Gamechanger
    What help/info are you looking for?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

As above it isnt really clear what sort of advice you need ? 
  • libbyt
    Sorry, we are looking at possibly funding a house ourselves between the parents or are there any charities that provide adapted houses that friendship groups can live in for life? Obviously, we would need to find carers either privately or through an agency. Has anyone else done this or know where I can go for advice on where to start? We have been told that Social Service are not keen on this idea but we want our son to be able to live with his mates not just found a room somewhere
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @libbyt :) I have a couple of questions if that's okay?

Would you be buying the house? Would this be alone, or with the other parents? Or are you planning on renting? Who would be paying the rent?

What kind of help would you need? For example, would you need financial help, or more general advice and support?

Does your son have carers at the moment, or is this something you currently do? 

Do his friends also have carers? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • libbyt
    Hi Tori
    See my further post above. Buying not renting, so that there would be no worry that they would have to move out ever. Our son does have carers using direct payments, his friends also have care packages. We are after general advice, has anyone else done anything similar?
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @libbyt

Homeshare in general is a term used to matching spare rooms with people with care needs with those looking for somewhere to live and happy to provide some care elements.

I can think of a few questions, but won't ask them.

As a starting point have you spoken to your local councilor about this? With a around 70% of share home schemes run by local authorities it is likely they will be able to signpost you to a contact in your local council who should be able to assist you.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    Hi, I am interested in how you get on...sorry no advice really but we might be in that sort of situation in future; but I do know someone else who is aiming to do a very similar thing (though I'm not sure if they are intending to buy the house or rent) with 2 young disabled lads in the South West. 
    For what it's worth, I can't see how SS can object; after all you are looking at a way to solve a housing issue which they themselves would otherwise be responsible for!!
    In terms of house purchase there are all sorts of mechanisms for joint purchasing (I've just learned of "joint tenants in common" or something like that...a young couple I know are buying a housetogether but not with an actual joint mortgage, but rather this joint tenancy thing though they will both pay into the same mortgage they have individual "stake" ...she's a solicitor!)  Good luck
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Thinking about the idea I would imagine that the first step would be to seek legal advice as buying a house between a number of parents could be a minefield, not sure about charities being able to step in as that would be a huge financial commitment for them.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness