nowhere near a Parkinson's cure? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

nowhere near a Parkinson's cure?

Options
silverflash
silverflash Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I. Find it incredibly hard that despite all the money been donated to Parkinson's website we seem to be nowhere near a cure? What do other people think?

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @silverflash I think there is so much money needed and people can't  afford it anymore  and funds are running low 

I think its the same with across the board in my opinion the pandemic hasn't helped ? 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @silverflash both my dad and grandad had parkinsons, my grandad from a very young age, it's just of those to which they don't seem to be able to find a cure, bit like cancer and several other things, although progress has been made and medication can help now with parkinsons.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Hi @silverflash Now it might seem an odd thing to say, but I became interested in neurological disorders when I was a physio student. Altho I was supposed to have a 6 week placement in a burns unit, I met the hospital's Superintendent Physio, we got talking, & she shared my interest in Neurology, She took me up to the Neurology ward, & after introducing me to this patient, she asked me what he had. I said Parkinson's disease. Well she asked me about subsequent patients on the ward, but that lovely gentleman stayed with me, & so too my interest in Parkinson's. I was then privileged to spend 6 weeks on the neurology ward, & learnt so much from her.
    As far as Parkinson's goes, as with many disorders, as yet no cure, but as woodbine says, medication has already helped many. If you're talking about somewhere like here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/research/when-will-there-be-cure-parkinsons   then it does look like progress will be made....money will go to support people with Parkinson's, but also to research. It all takes time unfortunately, but hopefully ongoing research will indeed help.

Brightness