Partner of "distraught" ESA claimant says DWP drove him to his death! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Partner of "distraught" ESA claimant says DWP drove him to his death!

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/partner-of-distraught-esa-claimant-says-dwp-drove-him-to-his-death/

I'm sorry but what the hell?! Which suited jobsworth in the DWP cocked up so bad that a guy died?!

Thoughts?

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Shocking, just shocking. Poor guy and poor partner.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    This is so sad 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    So sad bit too familiar happens too much but still nothing changes 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    janer1967 said:
    Indeed, like I've said for years this isn't the first time it's happened and won't be the last, too many heartless pen pushing jobsworths in the DWP who get stuff like this completely and utterly wrong IMO.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Quote from the article:

Although he is believed to have died of natural causes, she said: “As far as I am concerned, the DWP killed him.”

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending the DWP or maximus, but sometimes these articles from sections of the "media" are often opinion presented as fact. I'm not fully upto date with DNS but they look like they are just another so called "news service" with an axe to grind.

People reading this should be made aware that in cases like this you are entitled to have someone sit in on the tele assessment, and in fact its thought that telephone assessments have been more favourable to clients than face 2 face ones.

I suppose I'd better go and hide in a corner now to avoid the sticks that will be coming my way !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    janer1967 said:
    Indeed, like I've said for years this isn't the first time it's happened and won't be the last, too many heartless pen pushing jobsworths in the DWP who get stuff like this completely and utterly wrong IMO.

Is that opinion or fact?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• shell177
    shell177 Community member Posts: 16 Listener
    I have to phone them tomorrow as they have not paid me my ESA and its making me ill 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine, an opinion I believe.

For starters, he never got to finish the assessment so it would not have been sent to the DWP.

They are following a legal process, one set up by the Conservatives with a specific aim to cut the cost of disability benefits amongst others. Personally, my opinion is their sheer contempt for the public has been shown a lot in the lasts 12 months.

They were losing cases at tribunal, so brought in mandatory reconsideration, to reduce this. The number of cases they lost rose, but the number of people appealing fell, as more people decided not to fight the decision. Hence the claim that mandatory reconsideration had been successful.

Meanwhile, the companies who are contracted get the blame, DWP staff get the blame, and the Conservatives keep getting elected back in. Why does it keep happening? If it is not because it is doing what they wanted in the first place it would have been overhauled by now.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shell177

How did the phone call go and how are you feeling now?

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.