Medical evidence for PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Medical evidence for PIP

Joe__F
Joe__F Community member Posts: 29 Connected
I sent off my application with all of my evidence in November.  I had a few letters from different medical professionals that I see regularly, which described diagnoses for me as well as how those diagnoses affect my studies (I'm a university student)

I'm looking back at the paperwork that came with my application form, and I now see that it says "Please send the most recent evidence you have that shows how your ability to carry out the activities we ask about in the form are affected by your condition or disability. Only send in photo copies of things you already have available to you."

I now realise that the information that I sent in was focused on my ability to study, and didn't talk too much about my ability to carry out the activities on the PIP form. I sent in all of the medical evidence that I had, and as instructed by the form I didn't get any additional evidence.

Now that I think about it, I feel like this might be likely to negatively affect my outcome because my evidence doesn't directly discuss how my condition affects my day-to-day functioning. At the time I assumed that if they needed additional evidence they would contact the medical professionals that I put down on my form, however I've read online that they don't often do this. Does anybody know if this is likely to negatively affect my outcome? Does anybody have any advice of anything I could do now if this is likely to negatively affect me? my assessment is on Wednesday.

Comments

• ASDIBS
    ASDIBS Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    Hi. I would wait for the assessment. It's good that you have sent stuff. My son is also a university student, he still lives at home, he's got Asperger's and a medical condition too. I too added medical professionals. I know at the last claim that the assessor called CAMHS but on this occasion they have not called his hospital consultant. Just think about what you say, take your time and have somebody present with you during the call. The call was answering the questions that had already been completed on the form. Your evidence about your study may help as your ability to study could also have an affect on your day to day living. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,611 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't think it's helpful to suggest whether these things may or may not affect your claim, no-one can say for sure and you're only going to get more stressed about it in the mean time.

Just try and prepare the best you can now, having answers ready for any questions you think they might ask, especially where you feel you might not have activity based evidence for them.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    The words "relevant and recent" best describe what can be most useful, however you will have an opportunity to expand during the telephone assessment.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Joe__F
    Joe__F Community member Posts: 29 Connected
     thank you so much for all of your support and advice

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.