Hi Guys, my name is superbirdfrosty — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi Guys, my name is superbirdfrosty

superbirdfrosty
superbirdfrosty Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Thank you for allowing me to become a member of the group.
I need some benefits information.
Who is the best person to approach on this matter.
kind regards
Superbirdfrosty

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community.

as regards benefits information, you might like to simply ask your question and anyone with experience or knowledge will try to answer it for you. 

Hope that helps ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @superbirdfrosty - & welcome to the community. Please do just say about your benefits query, as leeCal says, as there's usually someone here who can help/advise. :)
  • Masuma
    Masuma Community member Posts: 30 Listener
    Hi there my name is Masuma 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @superbirdfrosty

Welcome to the community, thanks for joining us :) 

As mentioned above, feel free to ask your benefits question and I'm sure people will answer if they have the knowledge.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • superbirdfrosty
    Thank you folk for answering my initial inquiry.
    My situation is this. I am single. I have been in receipt of Esa (income related support group with add on premiums for some time. 
    I also claim pip, standard daily living and enhanced mobility.
    I am mortgage free home owner.
    I have recently notified Dwp in writing of a change in circumstances this was due to a life policy maturing between Christmas and new year.
    As a result of this both lower and upper capital thresholds limits exceeded what is permitted.
    Dwp responded and requested full bank statements for all accounts held by me covering from the date my combined balances went above £5500.00
    As requested I supplied the information Dwp required.
    I have since received correspondence from Dwp saying that I will no longer receive  income related Esa as my capital exceeds 16k.
    However, I will receive from January 2021  Esa support Allowance based on my insurance contribution records, this will be £113.55 a week.
    It also states in their correspondence that included within the £113.55 is extra money of £39.20 because you are in the support group.
    It all seems a little confusing and contradictory.
    Can anyone throw any light on this...for me...
    Thank you, stay safe folk.
    superbirdfrosty

• superbirdfrosty
    Superbirdfrosty forgot ask will I receive council tax support.
    Thank you.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @superbirdfrosty. So it sounds like previously you were on contribution-based ESA with an income related top up (which possibly included SDP - severe disability premium). Income-related benefits have a maximum savings threshold of £16,000 so you're now unable to receive this. However, because part of your ESA was contribution-based, this isn't affected by savings and will continue. 
    The contribution-based ESA is £74.35 a week and then £39.20 extra for being in the support group, bringing the weekly total to £113.55.

So your ESA will continue but it will now be £113.55 a week instead of the amount you were previously receiving and it will only be 'contribution-based', not income related.

Council Tax support is handled by your local authority. You should still receive the single person discount (25%) but you will need to talk to your local council to see if anything else changes. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • superbirdfrosty
    Adrian, 
    Thank you for responding ASAP much appreciated.
    I completely understand that one cannot claim Esa income related benefits (means tested) when capital exceeds what is permitted.
    So I have been converted over to contribution Esa.
    Does this mean at some point I will be required to have a further medical assessment whilst in receipt of CB.
    Also is there a time limit on how long you qualify for CB and if so how long.....?
    As for council tax I thought the Dwp would inform them of my changed benefit entitlements giving them notification.
    Thank you for your time.

Superbirdfrosty
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi again @superbirdfrosty. Yes, while claiming ESA you could be called for reassessment. Switching from income-related to contribution-based shouldn't mean it happens any sooner or later than originally planned. 
    As you are in the support group on ESA there is no time limit for how long you qualify (although you can't claim past state pension age). If you are reassessed as placed in WRAG instead of the support group, there is a 12-month limit on this. 

With regards to council tax, unfortunately this is handled separately by your own local authority and you would need to inform them yourself of any changes. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • superbirdfrosty
    Adrian
    Thanks again.
    The recent correspondence from Dwp states I am in the limited capability for work group and my benefit is contribution based only.
    Can you just clarify what you mean when you say there’s a 12 month limit.
    kind regards 
    Superbirdfrosty

• Adrian_Scope
    On contribution-based ESA, if you are put in the 'work related activity' WRAG group, (so not support group), they only allow you to claim this for 12 months. After this time payments from contribution-based ESA would stop.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • superbirdfrosty
    Adrian, 
    Thank you again for clarification.
    Much Appreciated.
    Take care and stay stay.
    Kind regards
    Superbirdfrosty

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.