Will I lose my benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will I lose my benefits

kidsareus
kidsareus Community member Posts: 28 Listener
Hi I was just wondering if my daughter moved back in with me would I lose my benefits has she works full time ‘ I’m on esa support group pip high rate I also get full housing benefit I also get severe disability premium’ 
thank you 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Your pip will not be affected however I'm not certain about your esa but to get SDP you need to be living alone or with someone else who claims PIP so this could be affected 

I suggest you contact welfare rights to get some advice or hopefully other members may know more to be able to help 
  • kidsareus
    Thank you for your advice much appreciated 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    You and your daughter are separate benefit units. However in order to qualify for the SDP you need to be living alone so you will lose the SDP (unless your daughter also gets a disability benefit). You will need to inform ESA.

if you get a single person discount on your Council Tax bill you will also lose that (although if you are getting Council Tax Reduction that will increase to reflect the new bill).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kidsareus
    Yes I get council tax reduction my daughter maybe moving in due to me needing more care so if I lose my sdp will she be able to get carer a allowance for me or will she not be initiated because she works ‘ also would she have to pay towards the rent to the council 
    thank you 
  • kidsareus
    All this seem really complicated and seems like I’ll be the one worse off 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    She can only claim Carer’s Allowance if she does not earn more than £128/week.
    She is not expected to pay towards the rent because you get PIP (if this includes the Daily Living component).

Does your current Housing Benefit cover all of your rent?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kidsareus
    Hiya thank you for your advice, yes all my rent is covered 
  • kidsareus
    And my council tax exemption because at the moment there is just me and my younger daughter at home at the moment I just thought maybe I would lose everything but this advice as made me more at ease with thinking about my eldest moving back in 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.