Driving lessons and Provisional license for Asperger's mid 40s guy? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Driving lessons and Provisional license for Asperger's mid 40s guy?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
edited January 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Above.

I'll be 45 in April, and when I was 20 I had driving lessons in a manual car with the same guy who taught my older Brother, after 3 or 4 months of lessons he gave up on me and said I'd never pass a test though.

I'd like to try lessons in an Automatic, and because I'm on enhanced rate PIP I believe I'd be eligible for a Motability car if by some miracle I passed a test?

Anyway I applied again for a P license when I was 27 circa July 2003 and was refused, they said because of my disability I wouldn't be able to control a vehicle, and because back then I had anger management issues I'd be a candidate for "road rage" (Pardon?!)

Would it be worth reapplying to the DVLA almost 18 years later for a P license with a view to Automatic lessons?

Tagged:

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I guess it depends what you found most difficult about driving.  Was it the gears, or was it more being overwhelmed by everything going on outside (lights, lanes, signs, cyclists, pedestrians etc)?

It took me ages to pass a test because I found it so overwhelming in traffic.  The gears were the easy part tbh, I could drive around an empty car park within a lesson or two.

Th idea around anger and road rage is an interesting point though.  I think you probably know that you've upset a few people on here recently, and don't always read things in the way they were meant.  I'm sure it's unintentional, but it could have catastrophic consequences on the road.  Only yourself and those that know you, would know whether that's likely to happen on the road.

You would be allowed to trade your enhanced Mobility allowance for a Motability car as you suggest.  
  • [Deleted User]
    I guess it depends what you found most difficult about driving.  Was it the gears, or was it more being overwhelmed by everything going on outside (lights, lanes, signs, cyclists, pedestrians etc)?

It took me ages to pass a test because I found it so overwhelming in traffic.  The gears were the easy part tbh, I could drive around an empty car park within a lesson or two.

Th idea around anger and road rage is an interesting point though.  I think you probably know that you've upset a few people on here recently, and don't always read things in the way they were meant.  I'm sure it's unintentional, but it could have catastrophic consequences on the road.  Only yourself and those that know you, would know whether that's likely to happen on the road.

You would be allowed to trade your enhanced Mobility allowance for a Motability car as you suggest.  
    It was the gears, I was tending to take my eyes off the road to look down at the gears which obviously would've been dangerous.

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    All I would add it may be an age thing but driving is a lot more stressful now than 20 years ago. There are many more cars on the road and if you have anger management issues I would suggest it is probably not for you. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    To be honest I was looking down at the gear stick when changing gear for a little while before I felt confident doing it without looking. That said, the way things are going, having an automatic license isn’t really the hindrance today that it once was. Modern automatics are no longer a compromise and are often better in every way (fuel economy, speed). With the move to electric cars as well, manuals are becoming obsolete.

If you are on enhanced mobility PIP I believe Motability will actually help fund your lessons as well as obviously get you in a new car once you pass your test.

Autistic people can make good drivers. A key part of being a good driver is to take emotion out of situations and observe and react to them using logic, which autistic people often do anyway.

As for the anger management only you know whether you are over that hurdle or not. If you think you are I would say it’s worth giving it a go.

Good luck!
  • [Deleted User]

Meh, they upset me before I upset them, I just responded "in kind" by telling some people to get lost.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    agree with @Cressida had to stop driving 23 years ago due to my epilepsy until then I drove around 40,000 miles a year with my work. Even if by some miracle I was allowed to drive again I wouldn't. It was bad enough in the 1990's todays roads look like madness.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger

Meh, they upset me before I upset them, I just responded "in kind" by telling some people to get lost.

Not that you upset me however if someone just disagreeing with you and stating why results in upsetting you so much that you need to resort to verbal abuse then there is some scope to questioning how far you have come in managing your anger and how you would cope in a more stressful environment such as driving, especially if you plan to drive regularly.

I didn't see the moderated word in the post itself but did in the email notification. I actually respected that you tried to moderate your language, though you could not resist adding the caveat. 

As pointed out in another thread employers are increasingly using the internet to research potential employees, as well as searching for mentions of their company. Could I suggest you take a look at how you react to people? Then ask yourself would you trust this person to look after your best interest if they are upset by an angry or abusive customer?

Something I have advised people in the past is to view what they put on the internet as an advert about who they are. Think of three people and what would it tell them about you. One of those could be a potential employer. You can decide this is who you are and if they don't like then they can go away. In which case you are potentially excluding yourself from job opportunities you may have been interested in and indeed could do very well if given the chance. You won't ever know as they will find other reasons why you are not the best candidate from lack of experience to someone else did better at the interview.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Couldn't agree more @Geoark
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Just to add that at present I don't think driving instructors are doing lessons anyway.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness