Back Money PIP + DLA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Back Money PIP + DLA

Spiers1977
Spiers1977 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Just won tribunal hearing for DLA + PIP they are back dating it from 12/03/2020 can they take all money for outstanding debt would like some information if they can or not thanks

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

I'm not 100% certain but others have said that they have recovered debt from PIP back pay 

Hopefully other members will be able to advise 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,612 Disability Gamechanger
    I assume you mean you have moved from DLA to PIP ? If you have backpay due and also have outstanding debts then yes they will take money to repay the outstanding debt.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,612 Disability Gamechanger
    I suppose whatever the technicalities are it's better to clear the debt whilst you have the opportunity, as opposed to making weekly payments over potentially a long period?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• ThankGod
    ThankGod Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Depends on the debt. People tend to assume all overpayments are recoverable and that's culturally encouraged by DWP. It is also untrue in a significant number of cases so my starting point would never be to ask whether or not it should be recovered from a specific benefit but whether or not recovery ought to be challenged in the first place. 
    I'm being forced to repay an alleged Income Support "overpayment" from 1994, at a time when I was a single mum and part-time university student with disabilities.  Unfortunately I could not challenge it as I do not have access to my financial records from back in 1994.  It looks like I'm now due substantial PIP backpay and I'm guessing DWP will take all this backpay to pay for an overpayment that I don't believe I even owe 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.