Carers allowance and UC — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance and UC

Options
jadeXX
jadeXX Community member Posts: 53 Connected
My dad has been claiming Carers allowance for me for 3 years he is also on Universal Credit but he gets less money than he would if he was only claiming Universal Credit and no Carers allowance is this right he has rang them many times but can’t make any sense out of it?

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You need to look at his monthly UC statements. The calculation of the maximum amount should include the carer element of £162.92/ month. The Carer’s Allowance will be deducted from the UC payable.

For a carer he overall amount of benefit payable is the same regardless of whether or not Carer’s Allowance is claimed and is £162.92 more than for someone who is not a carer but is otherwise in the same situation.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jadeXX
    Options
    He’s never had a Carers element in the 3 years of claiming UC and Carers allowance he was getting £650 UC before claiming Carers allowance and now he gets £350 UC including rent and £67 a week Carers so he actually recieves less than if he wasn’t a carer
  • jadeXX
    Options
    He’s never had the Carers element that’s why I can’t make sense out of any of it he gets less money than he did before claiming Carers allowance he was getting £650 including rent and he had no Carers allowance or element just normal UC and now claims UC and CA and gets £350 with rent and £67 week CA
  • jadeXX
    Options
    So if he was to cancel the Carers allowance he could then recieve the Carers Element instead? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Ignore the Carer’s Allowance - it makes no difference to his overall income if things are done properly.
    I suggest he posts a note in the payments section highlighting that he has been receiving Carer’s Allowance since xxxx, that it is being deducted from his UC amount but that the carer element has never been included in his UC calculation. Request DWP review all of his payments since claiming CA and recalculate his entitlement.

Did he actually declare that he is a carer when he claimed UC? If not that may be why it hasn’t been picked up - but even so he should be able to get it revised if Carer’s Allowance has been in payment.

Even without the carer element he shouldn’t be getting less than before, it should amount to the same. The CA is equivalent to £291.41/month so with £350 UC that is £641/month.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jadeXX
    Options
    Okay thank you he did declare that he was caring for me and also rang today and said that he gets less than he was before he had Carers allowance and that there is no point him claiming it then and she said well that’s entirely upto you and that was that 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @jadeXX, has he double-checked a recent statement to ensure he isn't receiving the carer element? If he isn't, then he should be receiving this as it sounds like he only has his standard allowance and housing element on his claim. 

He needs to be really clear with them and explain that they have deducted Carer's Allowance from his claim so they are aware he is a carer and that he should be receiving the carer element of UC too. 

Community Manager
    Scope
  • jadeXX
    Options
    He finally found out that he was receiving the element and he just didn’t realise so now he owes them £900 as I had a review and my pip stoped so he no longer had Carers allowance I then got my pip back and he reapplied for Carers allowance but it wasn’t being deducted from the UC or something so now he is worse off by about £250 and also owes UC £900 it’s so confusing 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @jadeXX, he shouldn't be worse off by claiming Carer's Allowance.
    It is deducted from UC but he still receives CA. UC then add the carer element of £162.92. 

He doesn't have to claim Carer's Allowance to receive the carer element if he would prefer it all came from one source.

For example:

His 'standard allowance' (assuming he's single) on UC would be £409.89 a month. If he didn't claim CA or the carer element this would be all he receives.

If he claims CA, he would receive £67.25 a week from CA (£291.42 a month) and his UC would look like this:
    £409.89 standard allowance
    £162.92 carer element
    -£291.42 CA
    = £281.39 Universal Credit. So while this is less than the £409 he received when he only claimed UC, he also has Carer's Allowance so his total income is £572.81

He could also choose to cancel his CA claim and only claim UC with carer element and his income would remain at £572.81.

So his income should definitely be higher by claiming CA (or just the carer element of UC).
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.