Will DWP Debt Management seize my backpay? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will DWP Debt Management seize my backpay?

Options
ThankGod
ThankGod Community member Posts: 26 Connected
Hi
It looks like I'll be awarded PIP Enhanced Daily Care and Standard Mobility and I first applied last June so there will be several months backpay due.

However,  I've been accused of having an overpayment of Income Support back from the early 1990s when I was a single parent and part-time university student.  It's too late to challenge this and I also no longer have access to my financial records from 25+ years ago.  I am paying this amount back on a weekly payment plan.  The amount owed would swallow my entire PIP backpay.

So will the PIP backpay be taken by Debt Management?  Will I be able to get at least some of it?  I urgently need the backpay to pay for accessibility adaptations to my home

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

There is a very similar discussion to this posted yesterday in recent discussions thread 

The answer is yes they do usually try and recover the debt but read the other post as some good advice about the topic 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.