Question about Severe Disablement Premium — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question about Severe Disablement Premium

ThankGod
ThankGod Community member Posts: 26 Connected
My Mental Health Team urged me to apply for PIP last year.  I was on ESA in the Support Group and the psychiatric nurse advised that if successful I'd get SDP.  So I applied.  However,  last November, I had to move and this move triggered them forcing me to switch over to Universal Credit.  It now appears that my PIP claim is successful and dates back from a time when I was on ESA and eligible for SDP.
Does this mean I'll not get SDP?  My psychiatric nurse seems to think I should but I've no idea how this works....

Comments

1119082 Posts: 258 Courageous
  • ThankGod
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    I think you need to do the following.
    Contact ESA and ask them to review your entitlement before your claim was closed. If you were entitled to the SDP then you should be able to be paid arrears.

if ESA confirm that you we’re entitled to the SDP at the time you claimed UC inform UC.

Provided you still met the qualifying conditions for SDP at the time of the transfer you may be entitled to an additional amount in your UC award called an SDP transitional element or you may be placed back onto ESA and Housing Benefit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ThankGod
    calcotti said:
    I think you need to do the following.
    Contact ESA and ask them to review your entitlement before your claim was closed. If you were entitled to the SDP then you should be able to be paid arrears.

if ESA confirm that you we’re entitled to the SDP at the time you claimed UC inform UC.

Provided you still met the qualifying conditions for SDP at the time of the transfer you may be entitled to an additional amount in your UC award called an SDP transitional element or you may be placed back onto ESA and Housing Benefit.
    Thank you.  I will do!
    1119082 Posts: 258 Courageous
  • ThankGod
    1119082 said:
    okay 
    Why do you keep writing "okay" on my posts?
  • ThankGod
    If you can sort the SDP on your ESA DWP have a clear process for revering you to ESA in a limited number of cases. 
    Hi Mike!  Can you clarify what this means please?  That it's possible they might transfer me back over to ESA?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    ThankGod said:
    If you can sort the SDP on your ESA DWP have a clear process for revering you to ESA in a limited number of cases. 
    Hi Mike!  Can you clarify what this means please?  That it's possible they might transfer me back over to ESA?
    It’s possible.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.