employers please themselves and flout the law — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

employers please themselves and flout the law

Hellsbells12
Hellsbells12 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2021 in Work and employment
Hello Everyone,
I thought I would join this forum as I believe, having Rheumatoid Arthritis for over 16years, that protection is minimal for disabled people and employers please themselves and flout the law.
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome on board 

Have a look around and feel free to join in 

Are you having issues with work or is it just a general comment 
  • Hellsbells12
    Hellsbells12 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I work as a nurse and struggle with the shift patterns of 12hours. The pattern follows 2 shifts on and 2 off, followed by 3 shifts on and vice versa. I have asked for a change to my work or shifts but my employer has refused. What does anybody recommend that I should do next? Can I also say that there have been other jobs given to other members of staff that didn't get advertised and I feel I could have done some of these as nursing is a career with transferable skills.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again 

Put a request in writing for a reasonable adjustment under the equality act 

However they only need to consider this but would need to give valid reason for not being able to accommodate 

Another way would be to ask to be referred to oh for a work place assessment and they can then make recommendations on any adjustments required 

Not all jobs have to be advertised however it is good practice to do so to give everyone equal opportunity 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Hellsbells12 - welcome to the community. I hope you have found the above advice helpful, & that you may find a way to sort out your work situation.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @Hellsbells12 are you a member of a union? if so could you get there help?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Hellsbells12 :) Have you had a chance to look at the above advice yet? 

You can read more about reasonable adjustments on Scope's website, and ACAS have some information about using occupational health at work
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there and welcome to the community I can only speak on my experiences . I told my past employer bout my mental illness in interview they said they would support me and adjust to me I made it clear how bad I can get and how I do have a nurse so they knew I’m under a mental health nurse . I was only there for 6 weeks they bullied me constantly I only did short hours but they made my life hell other staff members would call me retarded locked me in rooms to trigger panic attacks , the manager repeatly told me to shake my mental illness off It’s all in my head I was told so many horrible things I raised grievance with the owners and they sent me the most disgusting email saying horrific things bout people with mental illness I was so distraught I didn’t return but I wanted to take it further as so many places to get away with treating disabled people like this .

I first got advice to what forms of discrimination they had done towards me I raised grievance again after leaving they ignored I then contacted acas told them what I wanted as a outcome which was a appology and an amount for injury to feelings I was told by acas that I wouldn’t get a apology business’s never say sorry as that’s admitting fault . 
    So I acas contacted them they said they wanted to take part in discussing a settlement they wasted my time for a month saying they were thinking bout it then told acas they was not prepared to settle . So that’s when acas give me like a reference number I applied to employment tribunal wrote every thing up and then they asked the tribunal for a extension then 1 week before the pre hearing they settled out of court . It was a long process but it was worth it it wasn’t just bout money for me it was bout standing up for all disabled people too many employers think they can behave like this , you are in your right to hand a reasoned adjustment made , I wish you luck with it all please update us . And you mentioned your a nurse thank you for all your hard work in these stuff times . And stay safe 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    cupcake88 said:
    Hi there and welcome to the community I can only speak on my experiences . I told my past employer bout my mental illness in interview they said they would support me and adjust to me I made it clear how bad I can get and how I do have a nurse so they knew I’m under a mental health nurse . I was only there for 6 weeks they bullied me constantly I only did short hours but they made my life hell other staff members would call me retarded locked me in rooms to trigger panic attacks , the manager repeatly told me to shake my mental illness off It’s all in my head I was told so many horrible things I raised grievance with the owners and they sent me the most disgusting email saying horrific things bout people with mental illness I was so distraught I didn’t return but I wanted to take it further as so many places to get away with treating disabled people like this .

I first got advice to what forms of discrimination they had done towards me I raised grievance again after leaving they ignored I then contacted acas told them what I wanted as a outcome which was a appology and an amount for injury to feelings I was told by acas that I wouldn’t get a apology business’s never say sorry as that’s admitting fault . 
    So I acas contacted them they said they wanted to take part in discussing a settlement they wasted my time for a month saying they were thinking bout it then told acas they was not prepared to settle . So that’s when acas give me like a reference number I applied to employment tribunal wrote every thing up and then they asked the tribunal for a extension then 1 week before the pre hearing they settled out of court . It was a long process but it was worth it it wasn’t just bout money for me it was bout standing up for all disabled people too many employers think they can behave like this , you are in your right to hand a reasoned adjustment made , I wish you luck with it all please update us . And you mentioned your a nurse thank you for all your hard work in these stuff times . And stay safe 
    This is shocking!

I'll spare you my long rant about how I've been saying for years that disability equality laws aren't worth the paper they're printed on IMO, because the Tories have never enforced them and probably never will.

For you to be bullied out of your job though is beyond the Pale and this company should be in front of some bloke in a Wig for that, and I don't mean Brendan "Mrs Brown" O'Carroll.

Brightness