Do "savings" include your DWP payment for that period? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do "savings" include your DWP payment for that period?

Aella
Aella Community member Posts: 23 Connected
In theory we're allowed to have £5500 in savings before we have to start declaring it, right?  And £6K before our benefits start getting cut.  Does this include your next payment from the DWP?  If I am expecting my monthly £500 payment then does this mean I need to make sure my savings actually stay below £5K, because once my monthly payment enters my bank account it will take me up to the limit?

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes that's right.  All money in the account is classed as savings (capital) so the overall figure always has to remain below the threshold.   
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    The money you receive is income for the period it is received. Any money unspent at the end of the period becomes capital.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • LiamWarren
    LiamWarren Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Convert unspent monies into cash.
  • LiamWarren
    You can also buy Gold and Silver, its VAT free and not subject to Capital Gains Tax.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    You can also buy Gold and Silver, its VAT free and not subject to Capital Gains Tax.
    But the value of gold and silver can go up and down, so not always the best investment.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• LiamWarren
    True. It's a risk.
  • Aella
    calcotti said:
    The money you receive is income for the period it is received. Any money unspent at the end of the period becomes capital.
    do you have a source for this?  Because other people said the opposite?
  • calcotti
    edited February 2021
    This is the reference for UC
    ADM Chapter H1 (publishing.service.gov.uk)
    H1050 Income becomes capital if it has not been spent by the end of the assessment period after the one in which it was received. 
    Decision Makers Guide for legacy benefits has similar clauses. Here for example in respect of ESA
    DMG Chapter 52: Capital (publishing.service.gov.uk)
    When income becomes capital
    52050 Income other than earnings becomes capital after the end of the period it is payable for.
    In general money is either income or capital not both at the same time. In your situation if you have money in your accounts which is £5700 and then receive £500 for a 4 week period and spend that money within the 4 weeks your capital is £5700. If you only spend £450 then your capital at the end of the 4 weeks has increased to £5750.
    The DMG chapter referenced above includes an example:
    On 2 February Cath makes a claim for ESA. She has £7,550 in a bank account. This includes a month’s occupational pension of £250 which Cath received on 30 January. The DM decides that Cath has capital of £7,300 because her occupational pension payment of £250 has not become capital. On 16 February Cath withdraws £320 from her bank account to pay her car insurance. There is no evidence of any other withdrawals since 2 February. The DM decides that Cath has spent her occupational pension payment of £250 and that her capital has reduced by £70 to £7,230.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Aella
    So if someone has, say £5400 in a savings account and then they get their monthly 500 ESA/PIP paid into their bank account, so in total they own £5900,they don't have to declare to the DWP that they're now over the £5500 savings limit at which savings need to be declared, because £500 of that isn't counted as savings?  Because other sources say "Savings for the DWP include any amount of money that can be accessed relatively easily or financial products can be sold. Examples of savings include: Cash and money in a bank account"
  • calcotti
    I don't consider so. In essence the money you need to meet your regular expenditure to sustain yourself is not capital.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    stormy said:
    Aella said:
    In theory we're allowed to have £5500 in savings before we have to start declaring it, right?  And £6K before our benefits start getting cut.  Does this include your next payment from the DWP?  If I am expecting my monthly £500 payment then does this mean I need to make sure my savings actually stay below £5K, because once my monthly payment enters my bank account it will take me up to the limit?

In my UC journal they told me I only need to report it to them if its over 6K. The info on this is so damn difficult to get and confusing 

On moneysaving expert people were saying its only the amount at the end of your UC payment period you have to worry about declaring. So if your UC period runs to the 10th of the month and the new payment goes in on the 14th....it doesnt matter if you had more than 6K on the 8th of the month if its been spent by the 10th and if it goes over on the 14th is doesnt matter if you have spent enough to keep you under 6K by the 10th of the next month. They didnt say where they found that out though- Im reading stuff on here that making me worried Im doing it wrong.

This thread is 2 years old you've posted on. If you read the advice given by Calcotti, it's spot on. You do not need to report any changes if your savings are below £6,000 because they are ignored for savings.

The example you gave is spot on too.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.