Seeking the advice of the experienced. Has anyone noticed a shift in nature between ages 5 and 6? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Seeking the advice of the experienced. Has anyone noticed a shift in nature between ages 5 and 6?

Options
scubaflo
scubaflo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hello all, hope this finds you well and safe. 

My nephew is almost 6 and was diagnosed with Asperger's a few months back. I have had my suspicions for approx a year. In only the last few weeks we have noticed quite a dramatic shift in his nature. Although always previously stubborn - this has kicked up a gear. When it comes to playing games (where all people will score/achieve multiple times before the game is over) - he has become incredibly upset if the first point of the game is not his. Then he ceases to participate. There have been multiple occasions where he acts completely out of character but we are not sure if it is down to anxiety (of an unknown cause) or stubbornness. When it has been intentional in the past, he has laughed it off, almost as if to test to the waters of those around him. Yet recently he has been very apologetic and almost unaware of his actions (peeing all over a pile of freshly washed and folded clothes or spitting toothpaste into the bath as opposed to the sink). He's not scolded for such actions - only asked as to why he did it. He is always very apologetic (with true honesty), but his explanations are 'I couldn't wait' or 'I forgot'. 

Is this something anyone else has experienced? There have been no upheavals or changes in the home and no change to his normal (and expected for balance's sake) routines. 

Did any of you notice a significant shift between the ages of 5 and 6?

I'm well read on the subject and have devoured Atwood's work too. But this last few weeks have been odd.

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @scubaflo and welcome to the community.

Yes, their behaviour can be very erratic at times and changes can be sudden and seemingly irrational.

In general, where there is a sudden shift in behaviour, there is a reason behind it. Identifying the reason though can be very difficult, it can be something really small and doesn't have to be huge.

Aspergers can come with a range of issues, especially with the senses. Depending on sensitivity, if they have one, it could be as simple as a change in smell, noise, visual, touch etc. So a change in someone's deodrant, washing powder, a flickering light or something less obvious could be the cause. For example I have been using computers since the late 80s and never had an issue with them. Work recently changed the background to something very light and because I could not process what I was seeing on the desktop screen it threw me out completely. Though IT quickly changed my personal settings to remove the problem, I was out of sorts for a few days. 

For this reason, I recommend keeping a diary. This should include any changes in the norm, different brands from usual, as well when things settling down recording anything that happened prior to what happened including the 4 Ws, who what where when. It may not be easy to spot straight away, but over time you may notice a pattern. Who was around them, what was happening, where did it happen ie which room or place visiting, when time and day.

They can become extremely focussed on something and will ignore everything else around them, including the urge to go to the toilet. To be clear this does not mean they are necessarily doing it deliberately, just they are not processing the information being sent to them by their body until it becomes urgent and often too late.

Another issue which can arise is that they can be fussy eaters and not necessary for what is best for them. At one point we started giving my daughter vitamin chewy sweet things using a flavour we knew she liked. It took two weeks to be contacted by her school to go in for a chat. They had noticed a big change in her behaviour for the better and wanted to know if there had been any change at home. To be honest we had noticed the same but had wondered if it was a placebo effect on us.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• scubaflo
    scubaflo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Absolute legend
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @scubaflo :) I'm really glad that geoark has been able to give you some wonderful insight!

Just to let you know, I've tweaked the title of your post slightly, and moved it into our category for all things related to autism and Asperger's syndrome, so that other members can find your post more easily. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    I've had your son's problems all my life but I wasn't diagnosed with AS till October 1999 at the age of 23 and half.

Brightness