Superstitions and their meaning. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Superstitions and their meaning.

Sandy_123
Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,681 Disability Gamechanger
Bit of fun I thought, I'm superstitious about a lot of things, which comes from childhood being told to be careful because something will happen.
Don't walk under a ladder? Otherwise bad luck will come, it comes from medieval times, a ladder leaned up a wall resembled the gallows, so they believed if you walked under it you were next. Most likely going to get a bucket on your head lol. I would love to hear more.

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    If you  spill salt your suposed to throw a bit of salt over your shoulder  
  • Sandy_123
    @lisathomas50 yes I've heard that one too I don't know why tho 
  • Sandy_123
    Ok I did Google it, me being curious, apparently you throw salt over your shoulder to ward off evil spirits, in a different country they do it at funerals for same reason. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    I didnt know what the reason was lol for the salt it's supised to be bad luck if you put your cloths on back to front or inside out you shouldnt change them

Don't put an umbrella  up indoors 

Don't put shoes on the table 

A bride should never be seen the night before their wedding 

A wedding dress shouldn't be seen by the groom before the wedding day 

My mum said they all bring bad luck 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    A horseshoe with the open end at the top brings good luck, ha!
    i took one down once and whilst doing so it hit me on the head, true story.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
  • Sandy_123
    @leeCal lol lee meant to bring good luck horse shoes 
  • Sandy_123
    The brolly indoors is meant to rain bad luck as it's an insult to the sun God as it was originally to protect you to from the sun. Well according to Google lol.
  • Lisatho11987777
    @Sandy_123 shoes on the table  is related to a death or a loss of job or aquarel  or bad luck lol according to Google 
  • jsmith8899
    jsmith8899 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Sandy_123 said:
    Bit of fun I thought, I'm superstitious about a lot of things, which comes from childhood being told to be careful because something will happen.
    Don't walk under a ladder? Otherwise bad luck will come, it comes from medieval times, a ladder leaned up a wall resembled the gallows, so they believed if you walked under it you were next. Most likely going to get a bucket on your head lol. I would love to hear more.
    Oh wow I never knew that makes sense though!

Rather got nothing to add to this really as I havent a clue how things like that happen, but an event I was obsessed with the film about (love it because it shows human determination in its purest form) the 1972 plane crash in the Andes, was on Friday the 13th though non of the passengers being superstitious about it at all well I dont know about now though lol

Though there is this I have to say:
    I think the salt throwing over  your right shoulder (least I think its that) is due to demons at least supposed to creep up behind you from that side so essentially vaporises them or something along those lines, when someone spills the salt I've heard lol
  • Sandy_123
    @jsmith8899 hi there Fri 13th usually lucky for me, somehow. Comes from the last supper 13 people at the table etc, didn't help the horror film. So we see it as unlucky, fancy that plane going down tho on same day. Last time I travelled to London was Fri 13th but got there lol,
  • Sandy_123
    It is bad luck to cross another person on the stairs (comes from years gone by when men used to carry swords. If you crossed each other on the stairs then the other guy could stab you in the back)  see I never knew that was the reason and I've always said to people who were trying to cross me on stairs it's bad luck, lol hardly going to be carrying a sword.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Wear green socks to attract money ...apparently. Who knows why.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    @leeCal I don't know there's no information on why, but if you believe it you can buy green socks on Amazon with dollar signs on, so must be something in it, think I need a some green socks.
  • jsmith8899
    Sandy_123 said:
    It is bad luck to cross another person on the stairs (comes from years gone by when men used to carry swords. If you crossed each other on the stairs then the other guy could stab you in the back)  see I never knew that was the reason and I've always said to people who were trying to cross me on stairs it's bad luck, lol hardly going to be carrying a sword.
    The number of times I've done that in the past is unreal lol
  • jsmith8899
    Sandy_123 said:
    @jsmith8899 hi there Fri 13th usually lucky for me, somehow. Comes from the last supper 13 people at the table etc, didn't help the horror film. So we see it as unlucky, fancy that plane going down tho on same day. Last time I travelled to London was Fri 13th but got there lol,
    Would be interesting to see if there's any times on that day when I've had bad things happen sort of when someone says to me its Friday the 13th or I heard about it, otherwise I dont take much notice to be honest haha
  • Sandy_123
    @jsmith8899 lol me too, then it's a well, who's backing up episode, specially my son he's like I'm not going down lol, but I can see why back in the day when people had swords, but not now, I may change tactic and say if u don't carry a sword you can cross by, might get odd looks tho.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Sandy_123 said:
    My Mother was born on Friday the 13th of May 1949, so it was kind of lucky for me.

• Sandy_123
    @MrAllen1976 yeah I don't think these superstions have any meaning now there all from centuries ago when it did matter. 
  • Susanfelix
    Susanfelix Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
    Some people think black cats are unlucky. That goes back to the witch trials. If a woman had a black cat she was accused of being a witch and hanged!

Brightness