Has everyone getting an extension already been notified by DWP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has everyone getting an extension already been notified by DWP?

PIPnewbie
PIPnewbie Community member Posts: 298 Pioneering
edited February 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My partner is sitting awaiting to hear, hoping she will be one of those extended.

Her claim is due to run out in June and she is already dreading assessments and such. She was awarded by the First Tier Tribunal.

I read here by the Secretary of State that even those with an award instated by First Tier Tribunal will be getting an extension.

https://questions-statements.parliament.uk/written-questions/detail/2020-12-01/123727
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

Lots of people have had extensions including myself and my award doesnt end till 2025 but had it extend bit my award was through DWP 

Initially tribunal awards were not expended as it was court instruction and when that ends it was end of claim and you have to start a new application. 

I understand this had changed now but as yet I haven't heard of anyone having it extended 

Hope other members can help who have a tribunal award 
  • Audinut70
    Audinut70 Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    Hi,i had to go through the tribunal nightmare, 12 month assessment, then dwp decided to award my claim the day 'before' my hearing,10 months they put me through it claiming they hadn't received my paperwork. That was 12 months into a 3 year award, the awards aren't worth the paper they're printed on. I received my extension 2 weeks ago, but i still expect them to do another assessment well before my claim ends,now 2024,it was 2023. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    There seem to be a glut of extensions a few weeks ago, but the main point being that even if extended they can still review on the original datelines. 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Audinut70
    My past experience is that they review every year,12 months. I don't know if this is still the case, but if they can get more claimants off the benefit, those who can't, dont want or know how to fight it, its less of a burden on the government. Thats just my opinion though.
    As i said in my previous post, they awarded me my claim the morning before the tribunal, very funny time to suddenly find my forms???.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2021
    Audinut70 said:
    My past experience is that they review every year,12 months. I don't know if this is still the case, ..
    Review periods differ between claimants. You can’t generalise from your own experience in this regard.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Audinut70 said:
    My past experience is that they review every year,12 months. I don't know if this is still the case, but if they can get more claimants off the benefit, those who can't, dont want or know how to fight it, its less of a burden on the government. Thats just my opinion though.
    As i said in my previous post, they awarded me my claim the morning before the tribunal, very funny time to suddenly find my forms???.
    Whilst that might be your personal experience the length of award varies vastly in reallity
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• PIPnewbie
    Sorry guys I seemed to have missed a vital bit of info in my query.

I’m referring to the Covid extension not any normal extensions that may or may not occur.
  • Audinut70
    edited February 2021
    As i said, that was my experience, and the letter i received at the time stated,yearly review. Like you said,it might have been the case everything was a mess, my benefit had just changed from esa to uc, but they DID do yearly reviews, at the beginning. Username_removed said:
    They have not at any point reviewed every 12 months bar the initial couple of years for ESA WCA assessments which were a mess.

Also,i didn't say it was 'any' kind of extension, only that i recieved mine a couple of weeks ago. Youre not very subtle with your replies to vulnerable people on here who are only trying to help.
  • Audinut70
    Ok,People shouldnt rebuke others for their experiences who are only trying to help. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Just a reminder to respect one another's personal experience. While someone may experience something which isn't perceived to be the normal, that doesn't mean to say it can't happen, didn't happen or won't happen in the future. 

It's fine to have an opinion on what somebody else says, and it's fine to disagree, as always we ask that you ensure this is done in the right way :) 

Audinut70 said:
    Ok,People shouldnt rebuke others for their experiences who are only trying to help. 
    Absolutely, and your experience will always be welcomed, it's one of the great things about the online community.

I'd like this discussion to remain focused on the question asked by @PIPnewbie in the opening post.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • PIPnewbie
    There are neither COVID nor normal extensions. At present there are extensions across most cases regardless. Communication on them is inconsistent to say the least. 
    Sorry, I don’t mean extensions for those with Covid, I meant because of the pandemic due to Covid.
  • PIPnewbie
    There are, as previously stated, extensions across most cases at present. This is indeed because of issues created by the pandemic.
    And not everyone who will get an extension has been notified yet?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't think there's any way for us to know the answer to that.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.