Telephone pip tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Telephone pip tribunal

Options
charlottexo95
charlottexo95 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited January 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone! So I was awarded standard pip but I then was admitted to ICU and was in a coma and on a ventilator so I did a change of circumstances form for pip an they ended my claim so I reapplied and got 0 points I done a m.r an still 0 points so I am going to tribunal in 3 weeks I am just reall scared and worried as when i got the 0 points it was a telephone assessment an it's knocked me for six m anxiety is through the roof!! I have autism, borderline personality disorder,PTSD, COPD, asmha,severe hypoxia, epilepsy, anxiety, depression and severe breathing problems associated with the COPD and asmha... Also a DVT and a p.e ... I'm bricking it ... Any advice?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi @charlottexo95 and welcome to scope, the only advice I can offer is that PIP isn't awarded for your conditions/illnesses but for the care and/or mobility issues you have and how they fit the descriptors for PIP, have you had any advice from welfare rights or CAB?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @charlottexo95 and welcome to the community, glad you've joined us.

It sounds like you've been through a lot, those benefits claims can be a pain can't they? 

I'm sure our members on the community will be able to offer you some words of wisdom to help calm your nerves a bit. It's completely natural to feel this way and please be assured you aren't alone. As long as you do your prep work, and make sure you have your examples of how your conditions impact you, I bet you'll do just fine.

Do you have support from any loved ones up to and during the tribunal? Or have you sought assistance with the process from an organisation that offers help with these things?

Try your best to take it easy in the meantime and relax, the better you look after yourself then the better you'll be on the day. Maybe do one of your hobbies to take your mind off it a bit? Of course, the community will be here for you too and Scope's helpline is always just a call away.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

Advice I would give is to prepare read through your bundle and have some real examples ready of how you are affected against the descriptors telling what happens when you try and do the tasks 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there I’m sorry for all you have been threw and hope your feeling better . Did they stop your claim when you reported charge of circumstances straight away ? I thought they would at least have to do another assessment . 

• cupcake88
    Options
    Please let us know how you get on wishing you the best of luck 
  • janer1967
    Options
    @cupcake88 they did have a phone assessment as stated in post. They dont just stop anyone's PIP without notifying 
  • cupcake88
    Options
    Oh right thanks for explaining x
  • charlottexo95
    Options
    Yes I had a telephone assessment and I scored 0 points from having only 2 points away from getting enhanced an if anything my conditions have only got worse ..I can't go out anywhere I'm on oxygen home therapy as I struggle to breathe almost every second of the day but the main thing is my mental health and my epilepsy as I have alot of seizures and I get alot off injuries from it.. I broke my ankle and got 2nd degree burns on wrist from the last time I had a seizure which was 2 days ago... I think I'm worrying as it's a telephone tribunal and the last time I had a telephone assessment the assessor pure lied about me ..and it's really messed with m mental health.... and thy say oh you have I report Changes etc but I did that due to the fact I was in a coma and on a ventilator and had to have physio to learn to  walk and learn motor skills etc I wish I never told them anything now 

Charlotte x
  • janer1967
    Options
    The tribunal panel are independent and the sort of example you said above about breaking your ankle and burns are just what you should be explaining 

Be aware tho they will only take into account your condition at the time you reported the change and no worsening of condition since then 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was assessed on my health and ability I don't have help or carers and I used to work I have lupus  I find pip alot more strict than dla I always do paper hearings or revies  I find when your doing a phone one you cant always explain so well and there is record of what you actually said only what they write down but that is only my opinion as I have done both 
  • charlottexo95
    Options
    Ye well the reason I done a change of circumstances was my condition deterriated an got alot worse ... My point is that if I got it awarded for how my autism affects me surely I should win the appeal now I have actually been diagnosed with another 7 things and they all affect me in a really bad way .. like 3am this morning I woke up at the bottom of the stairs with a deep cut on my forehead so I'm guessing I must of had another seizure.. it's taking me 8 hours to actually stop being dazed and confused and remember who or where I am.. I'm just wondering have any of you had a telephone tribunal ? And been a success?  X
  • charlottexo95
    Options
    Hey everyone, this is Charlotte , I started this conversation!! This is an update.. my tribunal in in 2 days but I have received a letter from pip saying they are awarding me enhanced daily living and enhanced mobility!! Like wow , but wat I will say is ...... The claim that I'm going to tribunal for is a separate pip claim as when I appealed , I also made a separate pip claim just in case tribunal didn't go well .. the reason I'm going to tribunal is because it's for another 13 months of backdated money , shall I leave it be I've been awarded enhanced or am I being greedy ? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So you now have a maximum award going forward which is good news. The tribunal now only deals with your old claim up to the date of your new decision. The outcome of the appeal will have no impact on the new award, it will only determine whether or not you are due a payment for the 13 month period.

if the tribunal proceeds you should tell them is that you now have the new award.

It isn’t greedy to try and get benefit to which you are entitled - the tribunal will determine whether that entitlement exists.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • charlottexo95
    Options
    Okay so nothing can damage or change my award that I've just received.. it goes to how though that a different pip person looks at a different claim each time as I've sent in all the same evidence as before and the pip person have me 0 points so I do a new claim and get enhanced!! Really I'm over the moon 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There’s a strong argument that DWP could supersede the decision under appeal to save everyone the bother but realistically no-one at DWP really cares what happens at appeals at present.
    That was my first instinct. It would certainly be the sensible thing to do but I was doubtful DWP will join the dots in time if tribunal is only two days away.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Congrats on being awarded enhanced @charlottexo95
    :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • charlottexo95
    Options
    Hey everyone.. I was wondering for what reasons would someone not need an assessment for pip ?
  • janer1967
    Options
    Hi there 

As far as I know everyone gas an assessment of some sort . Even if it is paper based it is still assessed on the form and evidence that has been submitted 

Paper based are rare but do happen when there is reason for not doing phone or f2f 
    Eg person unable to communicate or supported by gp letter stating unable to have phone or f2f 

Also if no more evidence is needed 
    I had paper based review as my condition is physical and will never change 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.