Missing my folks — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Missing my folks

coylygirl
coylygirl Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
My mum and dad live about 200 miles away and I haven't seen them for over a year.  They were shielding but have now had their vaccines, not that this makes much difference to what they are able to do.  Mum goes shopping once a week with a neighbour but dad only leaves the house for a short walk (he has no puff) and I have been worried about depression. 

I have always spoken to them once a day, but I have just had a bipolar relapse so it is more like 3 or 4 times daily now.  He is so supportive and is my rock and hero (he used to be a fire-fighter0 and being there for me seems to have shaken him out of his downer in a strange way,  I guess it helps to take the focus off oneself when one is caring for another. 

Mum is finding it difficult to talk to me - I was critically ill 10 years ago and I ended up being sectioned with severe psychosis.  I am nowhere near that this time and am being well supported by the professionals and friends.  I just miss them so much. I tried a FB  video chat with dad today, he could see me but all I could see was the wall.  The grandchildren chipped in and bought him a tablet for Christmas but he can't get on with it - shame cos we could zoom and everything.

It is their 60th Wedding Anniversary and am hopeful that life will be more (new) normal by then.  I am getting them a telegram from the Queen and a commemorative marriage certificate and hoping to get the grandchildren and great grandchildren together for an afternoon tea, but we shall have to see.

I know so many of you are missing friends and family and my heart goes out to you.  Maybe tomorrow will be a good day (Thanks Captain Sir Tom).

Big loves to everyone  <3

Comments

• coylygirl
    edited February 2021
    It's just so **** isn't i?  Sorry about your mother's special day.  Let's hope we normalise soon  :)
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Haven't seen family for a year now miss my kids and grandchildren  miss my mum hope I get to see her again 

At least if we are saying these things we are alive and have a chance to see our loved ones again which I am grateful for 

My thoughts go out to all those people who have lost their loved ones in this terrible pandemic 

RIP to all those who have  been taken by this terrible ? heart breaking pandemic and thoughts for all those families who are having to go through this 
  • coylygirl
    Thank you for your message, I agree that we should be grateful to be alive and to give remembrance and respect to those we have lost.  I have gratitude for my parents and hope to see them in the not too distant x
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Only seen both grandkids once since last March and son and daughter once, it's the worst thing about this total mess, the youngest Charlie is 7 and they change so much at that age, but hopefully won't be too long now.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• coylygirl
    Yeah, it's awful isn't it,.  Phone calls just aren't the same and I miss HUGS.  I hope we never take these things for granted again!

Brightness